Black Crowes with Jackie Greene..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kolbyt85, May 22, 2013.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I sat in front of the dude all night in Detroit a few weeks ago. Not 10 feet away. I watched him with very critical eyes and ears. He nailed everything. He didn't play a bad note all night. He only glanced at the music stand once that evening.

His style was great. He seemed to enjoy himself. Good connection with the rest of the band. They often gave him nods of approval.

His tone was killer. Old Jr through an old Marshall. His slide was great.

I don't know what to tell you. I enjoyed the evening and I had no idea who the guy was. I listened to his solo stuff and I wasn't crazy about it. But he's a fit for the Crowes. Based on the night I saw him.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I like a lot of what Jackie's done before doing the Crowes thing (especially Skinny Singers with Tim Bluhm from Mother Hips... GREAT cd!), but I think he's in over his head as the lead guitarist for the Crowes. He does an OK job, but just doesn't have the ability as a lead guitarist to take their songs and jams to another level. He's a much better singer and songwriter in my opinion. Apparently they asked a few other guys before Jackie but they either weren't offering enough money (they're notoriously cheap) or the other guys were busy, etc.
    I might have brought this up in another Crowes related thread, but before they got Luther, they were supposed to audition a guy named Benji Shanks who was Paul Stacey's guitar tech when he took over for Marc Ford. I talked to Benji briefly about it and he told me they had him learn a bunch of songs then blew him off for Luther (makes sense since Luther is better known and attracted new fans). Luther is a great guitarist, but I really think they missed an opportunity by not hiring Benji. I was hoping they were going to give him a shot this go around when I heard that Luther was out. Would be much better than Jackie. The guy is a GREAT guitarist who has that ability to take things to another level like I mentioned. Exhibit A (solo starts around 3:45):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoTXpx5SGg

3. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

After the Bros Robinson dismissed Marc Ford, they would have done themselves a solid by getting Peter Stroud. Peter would have been a perfect fit, and he's a much better player than Audley, Luther or Jackie in the Crowes/Stones/70's 'Classic Rock," etc style of playing. That being said, Audley is certainly more adept than both Luther and Jackie at that type of playing, and was a good choice at the time. Unfortunately during his brief stint with the Crowes Audley didn't get many opportunities to play lead as Rich Robisnon was gung-ho on playing lead.

4. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Peter Stroud would have been perfect without a doubt! Before they got Marc Ford back in 05, that's who I was hoping for. I doubt that he would have quit Sheryl Crow's band to be part of the Crowes though. Probably not nearly the same $ and I'd imagine that she treats her band mates better. Of course, musically...

5. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind the Crowes change up the set every night, sometimes completely. Since each show is so different it could be a case of catching Jackie on a night where he was less comfortable with the songs than on other nights. You need to know A LOT of songs to play with the Crowes these days.

6. PdL

Totally agree w/ your assessment. I can't recall how long Stroud had been w/ Sheryl at that time, but no doubt that was a sweet gig. Not only would Sheryl be tons easier to work for than Chris & Rich, but she eventually gave Stroud the role of band manager, or whatever it's called in the biz . He was responsible for hiring additional/replacement musicians, scheduling and leading rehearsals, arranging tunes for live gigs, etc. Also, as I'm sure you know, Sheryl allowed Peter to contribute a great deal to her records. I don't have any of her records in front of me the moment so can't check to see if she gave Peter any songwriting credits - which would certainly have been a big financial boost for him.

7. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Member

I'm seeing all this from a distance, but I can't imagine Stroud as a good fit. He's not a blues-based lead-guitar player. Also, as musical director for Sheryl Crow's band, Stroud would feel stepped upon I'm sure by the Robinson brothers.

As for Greene, the guy is certainly a talent and I think could help mature the Crowes. He's not as well-rounded as Audley is on lead, but he's still darn good, and the Crowes music really doesn't need a virtuoso taking solos to another level. Have they ever really had that, even with Luther and Ford? I've not heard it. They are a groove band.

8. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Ford was/is irreplaceable IMHO.

Not in the way John Bonham was irreplaceable in Zeppelin, perhaps. But, no one has even come close to what Ford did on Southern Harmony.

9. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

Stroud has been with Sheryl for about 10 years and has at least one songwriting credit on the C'mon, C'mon album. He's actually touring with her again with Audley Freed in the band. In fact, she basically hired most of their band Big Hat to be her backing band for the last year or so.

10. les strat

les strat Member

... and Amorica! Marc Ford fit TBC like no other IMO. He was so wide open about different styles and accentuated Chris' vocals perfectly.

11. Jordan63

Jordan63 Member

Saw them in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and I agree with this. In most bands he would be perfectly fine in his position, but he definitely seemed a little over his head to me. Not bad, just not a top shelf lead player like they have in the past. He sounded great on a lot of stuff, blew one song majorly, but overall was cool, just not the caliber some of their lead players have been (love m.ford era)

12. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I've liked what I've heard from Jackie so far. I still think Alvin Youngblood Hart would be a very cool lead guitar choice for the Crowes. The problem is that he wouldn't put up with any **** from the Robinson brothers and would likely kick one their asses before the tour ended.

13. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I don't mean virtuoso as in a player who would overtake a song and make it just about the guitar solo, but Ford was certainly capable of taking a great song and giving it something extra. Just about every song on Southern Harmony, Amorica and Three Snakes is evidence of that.
    It might be hard to picture Stroud in the Crowes from his work with Sheryl Crow, but if you check out Pete Droge's 2nd and 3rd albums (Find A Door and Spacey & Shakin) you'll hear more of what he could have brought to the Crowes.
    Ford and Stroud are both great guitarists who don't play like they need to prove it in every song, which makes them even better to me.

14. Mike H

Mike H Member

I haven't seen the Crowes with Jackie Green, but I did see Jackie a few years ago when he was fronting his own band at a blues festival. I thought then that he was a damn good player.
    I did get to see the Crowes with Luther Dickinson and he was a very good fit.
    Personally, I'd like to see them play with Eric Gales. That would add a whole new dynamic to the band.

15. ethang1977

ethang1977 Member

I have seen the Black Crowes three times. Once each with Marc, Luther and Jackie. The show in 2010? with Luther was by far my favorite. However, I'm also a fan of Luther/NMAs. Jackie did a wonderful job this year in St. Louis. The music stand put it in perspective of how new he really is to the band and how quickly he learned all the songs.

16. PdL

I've seen the Crowes 26 times, but all were pre-2000. I saw them once in the early 90's when Jeff Cease was in the band, eighteen times during the mid to late 90's when Marc Ford was on lead, and seven times with Audley on guitar. I've never seen Jackie play (solo or w/ a band.) I saw Luther w/ The Word in 2000. (A very cool, but unfortunately short-lived group.) Based on audio and video I've seen of Crowes shows from the past couple years, here's my take on the lead guitarists:

Luther - Harmless. He didn't contribute very much to the Crowes, but apparently stayed out of Rich's way enough that they kept him around for a while.

Audley - Underutilized. He was a much better fit for the Crowes than Luther as he's got the blues-based/classic rock guitar style down pat. But Audley was never given the chance to let loose in The Crowes because, at that time, Rich was into playing leads.

Jackie - The worst fit of the three. He's got the look, and I imagine gets along great w/ Chris 'cause he's into the Dead. But Jackie's leads don't add anything to the song, and often meander off into malaise. I think Jackie is much better as a singer songwriter and leading his own band.

Marc Ford - Can't say enough good things about Marc. Not only a perfect fit for the Crowes, but Ford's contributions to SHAMC and Amorica, as well in the 100's of live shows the BC played between 1992 and 1997, were paramount in taking the band to a whole new level. The band died when Chris & Rich booted Marc at the end of the Further tour in 1997.

17. HalfGunSkyTour

HalfGunSkyTour www.wyeuca.com

I haven't heard him with the Crowes, but I was shocked when I found out he was on the road with them. I have an album of his from way back, and while solid, he just sounded like a guy playing Blues Music (TM) in a bar on a Thursday night. Not bad, but very contrived. Like he was trying to be too many things at one time.

But maybe he came out of his shell and he's a killer now. Good for him if he has.

18. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I've seen the Crowes with Marc Ford, Audley, Luther, but not with Jackie. Based on what I have heard on youtube, I dig Jackie in the band. I was already a fan before he joined (Trigger Hippy, Phil and Friends).

19. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I've seen Jackie twice at Warren Haynes Christmas Pre-Jams. This is a loose, free-for-all environment with many killer players at a small (900 seat) club. Brad Whitford, Audley Freed, Greg Allman, Warren and many other heavy hitters are usually there. I'd never heard of Jackie Green the first time I saw him and assumed he was a local guy who happened to know Warren so they let him play a little. His singing was alright but his playing and his tone never impressed me. He seemed a little out of his league when trading solos with those guys. I don't mean to beat him up, just my .02

20. Nordberg

Nordberg Member

This.

But really, Rich is the only reason I listen to the Crowes these days. After talking to him for the longest time(45 mins) after a solo show in the UK, I came to realize that he's a really,really nice guy! He said the reason he looks so uncomfortable and sour onstage is that he's so focused and concentrated. Or atleast he thought so.

I saw Crowes with Jackie a while ago, and what struck me is that they didn't choose the right guitarplayer from Trigger Hippy-->Tom Bukovac. THAT is a show that I really want to see!

N