Black Crowes with Jackie Greene..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kolbyt85, May 22, 2013.

1. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I've never met Rich but I got to play with Steve Molitz (his solo band keyboard player) a few times and he said he's a great guy and likes working with him a lot. Other people I know who have met Rich have nothing but good things to say about him too. I just don't think the Crowes are at their best when Rich is the best lead guitarist in the band. He's certainly really good, but he's a much better "riffer" and rhythm player imo. From the shows I've heard with Jackie he does OK, but this band deserves better. At least someone familiar enough with their songs that he doesn't need a music stand for mostly the same 10-14 songs.

2. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Member

He sounded great in that clip!

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

Saw them in Memphis earlier this month and the whole band sounded fantastic. My first time hearing Jackie in person and was blown away. Actually saw Rich smile a few times during Jackie's solos. Rich also sounded great. This was kind of a long greatest hits set though - completely rockin' but no deep cuts.

Then saw them again a few days ago and was pretty underwhelmed with Jackie. This was a much deeper cut show and he seemed a little lost at times, definitely not as confident. Rich was THE MAN at that show - just killed it. Got to hang with Chris after the show and was introduced to Jackie. Jackie seemed like a very nice dude, but his playing didn't do it for me that night. Maybe he was just having an off night?

4. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

I sold Jackie a Neve 8 ch. board. Nice cat.

5. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Member

Im gonna see the Crowes in Raleigh this summer. I dont have high hopes for inspirong lead playing. But on the same note, I think its unfair to compare Marc or Luther to Jackie. Marc and Luther are just virtuoso type players and Jackie is more of a songwriter. I think Chris brought him in more as a friend than a player.

On a seperate note...Neal Casal!!! Why didnt he get the invite?

6. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

Yea, I was not/still not, familiar with Jackie, so i think i just had high expectations bc i loved Luthers playing....

7. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

Dude.. he didnt play like this when i saw him, although his tone was still sick.

8. xaviervr

xaviervr Member

Is he just using the Marshall or also the two rock?

9. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I'm a total Ford fanboy, but Jackie sounds just fine there!!

10. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

I couldn't disagree more. First time seeing him play lead an I was very impressed. Sounds like he's been studying Derek's work.

Quick question: Are the Black Crows the definition of stoner rock?

11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

The crowes were/are weed smokers I'm sure but stoner rock bands are usually more sabbath influenced in sound. To me the black crowes are a straight up rock and roll band.

12. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

Cool, I was never really sure what that term meant. I agree they're definitely rockers.

13. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Historically, yes. But not by the modern definition and genre. That would be more like Witch and Black Mountain.

14. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Member

When I saw them in April with jackie he killed it, and his tone sounded exactly like that. He was only using the Marshall for the 2 nights I saw them.

15. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Member

Also, for those looking for good live downloads with jackie (on a good night), the washington DC show on 4/9/13 was great. I attended that one and later bought the download too. He played some awesome solos and was fitting in great with the band.

16. Dubious

Dubious Member

that clip was fantastic... dood seems to be fittin in just fine imo!

there was a clip of one of his bands someone posted in the initial thread of his joinin the band and dood was SLAYING

great tone!

17. Dubious

Dubious Member

here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhUu0BvRPE

and he's playing with Audley Freed so you can compare and contrast!

dood is seriously locked in with Gorman... and when he takes a solo - sorry but THAT is a serious solo - killer phrasing, killer tone, could be the position of the guy who shot this but Jackies tone is KILLING freed here (he sound pretty lost in the mix but im sure its just the vid)

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

nice tones in that vid, but i have to say - that song bored me. not feeling it.

19. Dubious

Dubious Member

yeah the tune didnt do anything for me either - but hey he plays Black Crows tunes now so thats not a problem! - merely a video showcasing some very good guitar playing imo

20. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I personally wanted to see more of Audley Freed with the Crowes. His stint with the BC is very short lived and I wished that they made a more guitar oriented album with Audley on guitar.

Here's Jackie and Audley's supergroup of sort (Trigger Hippy).