Black Crowes with Jackie Greene..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kolbyt85, May 22, 2013.

1. evildik

evildik Member

Or Monster Magnet, or Fu Manchu, or Kyuss...

2. Texican

Texican Member

I first saw Jackie Greene in '03 at the Fillmore in San Francisco opening for Los Lobos (they were taping their first live DVD) and he just killed. Guitar-wise, his forte is acoustic, and his harmonica and piano playing are superb.

He is first and foremost a formidable songwriter and performer, and I just don't see him as a "lead guitarist" type. He's been at his craft a long time now for a relatively young guy, and this surprises me this BC thing he's doing.

Hey, more power to him. I imagine the money will be decent with BC and he can continue with his projects too.

Listen to his early CDs for some excellent songs crafted and executed by a still young cat: Rusty Nails, Sweet Somewhere Bound and Gone Wanderin'. Amazing songs from these his first recordings. American Myth was his first major release and was produced by Steve Berlin. Some good songs there, though I prefer his self-produced CDs.

3. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I saw Jackie Greene with the Black Crowes live way back in March of this year in Manchester here in the UK.

Before the gig obviously had heard of the band & some of there songs but was not a avid fan but went along anyway. I thought the band that night were fantatstic great rock 'n' roll sound & for me Jackie Greene stole the show his guitar playing was just brilliant & remember him playing with a blue Gibson SG (obviously varied the guitars up through the night) - now I'm a Fender guy, but the tones he got out of that Gibsobn SG made me want to buy one!!

Due to that gig it's made me get more into the Black Crowes & love there Rock 'n' Roll with soulful overtones style! Was surprised to read negative feedback about Jackie Greene, but hey not seen live the other lead guitarists you guys have mentioned. All I can say is when the Black Crowes played Manchester with Jackie Greene they were superb!!

4. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Same here. Saw them a few months ago and I tgink he is a bad fit. Particularly considering those who have gone before him.

5. BlindLUCK

BlindLUCK Member

I've seen the crowes multiple times (10+) over the last 2 decades or so. Here's my take:

Jackie is good not great. The guy is a fantastic player and deserves to be up there, but in my opinion he doesn't have "it".

He can play all the licks he wants all night long (very well I might add) but not one of his solos got the crowd going...in contrast, every solo Derek Trucks played the other night at the Pavilion made you feel something...the crowd knows it when they hear it. I realize it's completely unfair to compare the two (or any players for that matter), but I don't think the Crowes have had "it" in a guitar player since Marc left. Just another far above average player that gets the job done well, but not great.

6. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

Luther wasn't that good of a fit when he first joined the band either. It took quite a bit of touring for him to get comfortable and start putting his own mark on songs. Jackie needs WAY more time before anyone really can judge him against the other guitarists the Crowes have had.

I thought he did just fine in Charlotte. It was mostly a Rock & Roll setlist without a lot of need for subtlety. Jackie seemed like he was still not totally familiar with all the material (music stand as mentioned and didn't seem to really be stretching himself melodically on his leads as much as relying on his "standard" bag of tricks). Frankly, all their guitar players will forever be compared against Marc Ford to me...and that is going to be hard for anyone to live up to. I think Jackie did just fine and I think if he gets to tour with them for a couple of years he'll be sounding great.

After watching that Benji Shanks video...holy crap THAT is the guy the Black Crowes need. His playing is a lot like Marc's in places...but he's got his own thing. He would be fantastic.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I saw both shows in Chicago in April, and felt that Jackie was awesome. His playing is WAY different than any of the other Crowes lead players, but it was tasteful. Listen to his leads from 4/16 on Wiser Time. The band changed to a swing-style rhythm and Jackie just killed on it. I liked Luther as well, but Jackie is a welcomed change of pace.

At the very worst, I felt that he was “settling in” to the band and was a bit “green” to the band’s material, but never wished at any point in the show that another player was on stage.

8. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Marc is probably, and maybe by default, my favorite, but I can't disagree more. The players are very different, and all have something to offer the band. While I like some more than others, I never once felt the Crowes were "missing something" with Luther, especially given the strength and overall quality and song-craftsmanship of "Before The Frost..." album, and the highly underrated Warpaint. Luther is a monster player, and although Jackie may not be a "Great" lead player, he still brings something fresh to the band, even if its not the expected virtuosity for the Crowes lead guitar slot.

9. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Jackie is an extremely talented musician and songwriter and I love his solo stuff. I'm really looking forward to hearing what he brings to the Crowes when I see them next week in NJ (13th row!).

Luther is the only other player I've seen live n the rotating chair that has been occupied by Freed, Ford, et all, and he was great.

10. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Seeing them tomorrow night in Boston!!!
    Can't wait!!

Anyone know if they allow cameras in? Is it venue specific or determined by the band?
    They allow taping,seems like cameras wouldn't be an issue.

11. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I'm glad someone agrees with me about Benji. The only reason I can see why they would have gone with Jackie for this version of the band is laziness. Well, that and I think now that Rich considers himself more of a lead guitarist he doesn't want to be shown up on stage by anyone. Jackie's a very talented musician and I'm sure he's a great guy, but Steve did a podcast interview recently where he pretty much said the most important thing for them was to find someone they wanted to hang out with on the road. Really explains why the first couple of months of shows basically sounded like rehearsals and why Jackie still needs a music stand. I get it and they've earned the right to do whatever they want with their band, but I wish they tried to look for someone who they could have hung out with that could ALSO not just play these great tunes OK but take them up a notch. It doesn't have to be Marc Ford, but that's exactly what he did. Those guys are out there and if the Crowes treated and paid their bandmates better (something they're notorious for NOT doing) they could probably get someone like Warren Haynes, Peter Stroud, Craig Ross, or whoever. Even if they want to keep it on the cheap they could have had Benji Shanks or some other great semi-unknown guitarist. I don't see any possible way they would not be a better band with any of these guys instead of Jackie, but they settled for "just fine" and "OK" which are the two main phrases I hear in the compliments for Jackie.
    I am happy that there are people diggin this version of the band though and I hope it means good things for Trigger Hippy. I think it'd be great if they got big enough for Audley to be able to rejoin.

12. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Saw the Crowes last night in Philly and I just have to say, this nails it to me. I came on here to see what others had thought of Jackie, but the post below say almost exactly what I was thinking (although, I liked both Audley and Luther with the Crowes).

Jackie is a great guitar player, but it just never felt "right" to me last night.

13. jiml

jiml Member

Anyone besides Marc Ford is just a "fill in" IMO, although I thing Jackie is doing a better job as he has become more familiar with their stuff.

14. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

I was there too and I agree. I wanted to like his playing and technically there was nothing wrong with what he played. He is a great lead player, there's no question. But he played a bit too clean and his timing just didn't vibe with the Crowes the way Marc Ford did. A good example was the "Remedy" lead where he came in late for the lead parts (intentionally so, but it just sounded wrong).

However, it was an awesome show overall and Rich really played a lot of nice leads himself.

15. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Saw them in NJ last week. Jackie was great. Out of the three times I've seen them Rich was at his absolute best.

16. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

But the Crowes aren't at their best when Rich is the best lead guitarist. Still really good, just not as good as they could be. A big reason is because Rich is such a GREAT rhythm player and his riffs carry so much of the load for the songs.

17. Tonii

Tonii Member

Saw them last night in Detroit (actually Rochester which is a rich suburb) for the second time this year. Marc Ford is my all time favorite guitar player. I give Jackie credit its not the easiest gig. He's got a much more country influence in his lead playing as where Ford was more from the Hendrix old school rock vibe. However Marc can play country licks very well but Jackie just cant rip like Ford did. on the same bill as Derek Trucks any slide player looks a little second rate but Jackies slide work was good. I've seen them 5 times, 3 with Marc. Marc Ford is so underrated its sick. Early 90's Crowes is still some of the best live rock n roll I've ever heard.

18. duaner58

duaner58 Supporting Member

Saw the Chicago show a couple nights ago... Seen em with MFF 6 times and saw them w/ Stanley, Luther, and now Jackie. I'm done seeing them for awhile I'm afraid. Unless they bring back MFF or Audley, just not worth the time.

19. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I saw them in April at The Vic, both shows, and two nights ago w/ Tedeschi Trucks and London Souls. Great show, each band was awesome.

I've enjoyed all the guitarists the Crowes have hired, and I don't regret seeing them 3 times in 5 months, but I doubt I'd see them again for at least a year or until they release some new material.

Still my favorite Rock N Roll band though!

20. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

They announced some new tour dates today. They're doing solo projects/other bands in 2014.