Black Crowes with Jackie Greene..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kolbyt85, May 22, 2013.

1. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Bring back the Chris Robinson Brotherhood!

I love the Crowes, but at the same time, Chris & Rich have done some excellent stuff on the side. Keep it coming!

2. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

they are hiring Derek Trucks after they just toured with them this year... hahaha I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. McQuade

McQuade Member

Even though they aren't on Shake Your Money Maker, The Crowes I always want to see and hear are the Crowes with Marc Ford and Eddie Harsch. They are the crowes when I think of them. Johnny Colt, Sven Pippen either one of them works for me.

4. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Man, I feel the exact opposite. LD is kind of a joke compared to JG. LD is riding off his dad's accomplishments and JG is the real deal....just watch some old youtubes of him.

I also saw him with the BC's on Saturday in SF and I feel like he carried the Crowes all night even better than Audley did.

5. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Jackie is the real deal, just not so much in the Crowes. I love him in Trigger Hippy and the album he did with Tim Bluhm (Skinny Singers) is great, but he was a convenient choice for the Crowes and word is the reason he ended up with the gig is because the other guys they asked first weren't interested in doing it for what money they were offering. He did a fine job, and he probably did carry the band better than Audley did (he was on a very short leash), but I still think they could have gotten a much better lead guitarist. Just Google "Benji Shanks youtube" and you'll see/hear a lot of examples of just 1 guy they were supposed to audition and unfortunately blew off for Luther. I'd imagine he was more than likely available when they hit the road this year.
    The Crowes just aren't as good if Rich is the best lead guitarist on stage (as good as he is) and that's been the case since they had Paul Stacey.

6. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Search Youtube: black crowes gathering of the vibes

Lots of good vids

7. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.

You're probably NOT joking, and that's a shame. Luther Dickenson is hardly riding on his father's coattails. He's been a hard working musician all his life.
    I see by your handle that you are a fan of Duane Allman, so there is probably no one who can eclipse his slide work, but Luther is an amazing player in his own right.

8. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

To say Luther is "riding his father's coat tails"......is just plain ignorant. Taller ^ nails it. The Crows always are great with whoever. It's the Robinson's band.

9. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

My first Crowes show was 92 and what I saw last month was just sad. Jackie can't hang and I will never pay to see them again. Horrible. I paid 50$ to see them play for under 2 hours and only a greatest hits setlist? I have over 200 bootlegs of these guys all from the Ford Era, and the newest incarnation can't hold a candle to even their worst show with Ford. Stick a fork in it because this bird is done.

10. dmr34

dmr34 Member

I disagree... I have seen many shows from the Ford era on. The shows with Jackie can hang with any of them... I do miss the back up singers though.

11. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Only my opinion here... I think Luther really put his own stamp on the band. There is absolutely a Crowes/Luther vibe just like there was a Crowes/Ford vibe. I think they chose Jackie because they wanted someone who would "stay in the pocket" and not put a particular slant to the music. aka, a way of keeping the Crowes perfectly a Chris/Rich vibe.

Not to take anything away from Jackie, I think he did good on the tour, but I find myself really appreciating the Luther iteration of the Crowes so much more. They definitely dont sound the same. Im thinking thats exactly what Chris/Rich were going for.

12. wademp

wademp Supporting Member

I saw the Crowes a few weeks ago, in Lousiville. I've loved that band forever now, and it was my first time seeing them. I was a bit disappointed. They didn't have a lot of energy, and honestly it felt like that didn't want to even be there. There sounds was great, but there was a strange vibe in the air that night....

13. McStrats

McStrats Member

Luther Dickenson is my favorite Crowes guitarist so far.

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I think Jackie has gotten better as he has been on the road with them. Their setlists have definately evolved for the better as the tour wore on.

15. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Out of curiosity, were you a big Luther fan before he was in the Crowes? I know some people who feel the same way as you do and they were all into NMAS before they really got into the Crowes. I think Luther did a great job playing within the songs on the albums he was on, and he showed a lot of versatility. I still prefer Ford though. I also thought Paul Stacey did a great job too.

16. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

I was there, too.

I got the same kind of vibe.

I think this entire tour has had that feel, to a certain extent.

I can tell you that Rich was surprised to get back his les paul goldtop that was destroyed in hurricane Sandy, just before the show. He was so excited he used it half the show. But it still seemed very business like. If that can't fire you up then Im not sure what can. The whole band seemed business like. The whole tour seemed to have short shows with short encores. I've heard some call this tour the "solo project fund raising tour" maybe there is truth to that...

Still - the crowes on a bad night are better than most band's good nights. I had a blast. But it wasn't on par with previous tours.

17. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Not directed at me but I'll answer. I got turned on to Luther from the crowes, then worked my way back to NMA.

I think, from a guitar standpoint, Ford was the best, but from a musicality standpoint, I prefer the Luther version of the Crowes to any other. He took their music to an altogether different place.

18. patrickdylan

patrickdylan Member

I was also a big crowes fan and learned of Luther through them. Also now a big NMA fan too. He's a great player with a great attitude and work ethic. I like the crowes with just about everyone they've had, because they pretty much all kick ass. There are differences and each has their own style and flavor, but it's kind of like arguing about which flavor of ice cream is better... In the end it doesn't matter much because they are all good!

FWIW I saw two BC shows in April with Jackie and they were awesome. No complaints at all from me.

19. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I haven't seen this interview before, but after watching it. Now I know why Marc is not with the Black Crowes no longer.

20. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I liked Luther on the material they recorded with him and a few other tunes, but when it came time crank with some more biting tone he didn't really cut it.

Ford was the perfect guitarist for them and I think I could've even fit in on Warpaint and the Before the Frost double.

I don't think they've ever had any hacks on second guitar, but what I've heard from this lineup is the weakest they've been. In fairness, a lot of that was earlier on when I was trying to decide if the ticket was worth $70. Probably should've just went, b/c I always love the Crowes and I would like to see them find a nice middle ground between the vibes each brother brings and this was probably a good lineup for that.