Black Crowes, Zep tone for around a grand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarded_1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So I am in love with the Matchless Clubman, but sadly, it's out of my price range. I have the high gain plexi covered with my Splawn, so I'm looking for a 50 watt or less amp that goes up to medium gain and has tone, tone, tone. Ideally, I would love it to have a bit of sparkle/chime/grit to it (Crowes), as well as some real balls and attitude (Zep/Lizzy). Any suggestions for used amps around $1000...or am I dreaming?

2. stratofied

stratofied Member

The TopHat Emplexador.

3. doctord02

doctord02 Member

why not a Marshall?

4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Yeah, why not? I love Marshalls.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Marshall.

Or copy thereof.

6. 59model

59model Member

A Marshall TSL601 can be made to sound really good without having to do any surgery, contrary to popular belief. I bought one just to experiment with. I only did this: bought it used for $700 in mint condition, replaced the speaker with a Classic Lead 80, thanks Bob! Replaced V1 with a Philips 12AT7, and V2 and V3 with Sovtec 5751`s. No more fizz...at all. 1st channel is clean as heck even at high gain settings, 2nd is like a JCM800, and 3rd is nu-metal. I don`t use the 3rd channel much, but sometimes it`s fun to just play around with after hearing System of a Down or the like on the radio, LOL! I use an old MIJ Boss SD1 for a lead boost. Cheap, and it works, and this is after spending countless thousands on Boutikee amps. Best of luck to you.

7. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

go with an an orange rocker 30 or ad30, they'll get you there fo sho

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I was just listening to that Live at the Greek album yesterday. A used Tophat Club Royale 2x12 with a good Les Paul will do ya.

9. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Take a good look and listen to Germino. Seriously. It will get you there effortlessly right out of the box.

Steve

10. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

you can get a Rockytop 45H for $950 i think

11. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

This is basically the sonic territory that I live in so I've owned any and every Marshall/Vox clone across the board. Favorites that fall i that price range are Germino Masonette, Roccaforte Custom 18, Aiken Tomcat, Fargen Miniplex, and Carr Hammerhead. One of the very best Zep/Crowes amps I have owned is the Supro Thunderbolt. I was real hesitant to buy into the hype behind these amps but after owning one and playing one extensively it really hits the nail on the head for gritty, ratty Page tones. There is a certain looseness that the 15 in. speaker gives to the sound, like it's at the edge of coming apart that boutique amps can't really mimic. The hard part is finding one that has not been modded, reconed, or otherwise screwed with. Another amp I would throw out is the Nick Greer Underdog 15, specifically the mod 1 circuit. This is a traditional 5E3 Tweed Deluxe witha twist. The overdrive reaches Plexi like tones, nice solid bottom end and can really rip and cut without farting out like old Deluxe's. It can do the Zep purr and the ratty Crowes Tweed stuff. All great amps!

A note on Tophat's, I've owned a few and all were great, just not well suited to this type of music. It may have been the speaker combinations that were in the amps. I really liked the Club Royale, loaded with Celestion Blues but not very Zeppeliny or Crowesy. Had alot more Vox that Marhsll vibe going on. Great amps though.

Scott

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

Rockytop 45H is on sale for $950.

13. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

MARSHALL SILVER JUBILEE 50 watter- It can cop the Page tone and it IS what the Black Crowes used on the first album......

You can find the combo 1x12's for around $1K sometimes.......and you can use it as a head with a 4x12......

The heads are going for more than that, but its worth the investment.

14. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Okay...we're about on the same Page (HAHAHAHA...no pun intended...I'm a dork). Anyway, I'm really seeking Marshall-like balls and punch with Vox-like sparkle and chime on the top end. I think it's that whole 3D thing...which to me...really means having multiple dimensions to an amps tone. I'll look into some of those suggestions. Thanks for the help.

15. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Which 'Zep' tones are you talking about?? Remember that Page used all kinds of amps in the studio, especailly the first album (mainly a Supro). Plus, he miked those suckers in very dynamic ways. I heard he put a mike in a drained toilet one time twenty ft. from the amp just to see what it sounded like! Or are you talking live sound?? That's all Marshall 100w plexi, modded to put out 200w, with KT88 power tubes.

I'd go with a reissue 87x. I just bought one (modded, I should add) and it sounds fantastic. But you can pick one up used for about 8 or 9 hundred, and they sound pretty good stock. Down the road you can have someone mod it back to original plexi specs, and replace the stock OT to a Mercury Magnets OT, and you'd have an amp for the ages. You should pretty much be able to achieve all the tones you're looking for with this.

16. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I'm just speaking in general terms. I'm not looking for small, ratty tone. I'm looking for more of an old plexi type thing with just a touch more gain...but I really want some added mojo and complexity on the top end.

17. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I'm telling you, you can't go wrong with an 87x reissue. It's in your price range, it sounds great stock, and you can buy one, save another $200, and then have David Bray or VoodooAmps mod it for you down the road. You can tell them all this stuff and they will mod the amp to get these tones you want out of it. Either of these people do great jobs, and they specialize in vintage tones. Mine was modded by David Bray, and I was looking for pretty much the same tones you are, and it came out fantastic. Remember you need a good guitar and descent cab too.
    :AOK

18. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Well, the mods might cost more like 3 or $400 -- LOL -- but it's still worth it.
    :p

19. stratofied

stratofied Member

Actually this would have been my first recommendation but I think he might have a tough time staying on budget.

20. catherinef

catherinef Member

Fargen Miniplex--very versatile amp!