Black Dog interesting tidbit

joseph

Read in Electronic Musician magazine how Jimmy Page played the main riffs by plugging his guitar (unspecified) directly into a tube recording console and overloading it.
Another example of that 'great Marshall sound' :D .

Brusco

I always thought Black Dog sounded like a Fuzz.. at least that's how I'd try to get that sound. The Beatles did the same thing on Revolution -- Guitar>Console

bjm007

Originally posted by joseph
Read in Electronic Musician magazine how Jimmy Page played the main riffs by plugging his guitar (unspecified) directly into a tube recording console and overloading it.
Another example of that 'great Marshall sound' :D .
I'd read that he plugged his guitar into a channel strip on the console and then inserted two (2) Universal Audio LA2A compressors where the output from the first was sent (cascaded) into the input of the second one... That's how he got the gain up and overloaded everything to get that tone...

No traditional amp was used although the UA stuff technically is a leveling amplifier on its own.........

joseph

Interesting.....since towards the end of the song, during the final break (where Plant sings the C/A singsong repetition), you can hear Page's guitar start feeding back!

M

Member 995

I've always thought that was a terrible guitar tone. That explains it!

Bryan

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Aint it funny how some of the ugliest guitar tones will sit perfectly in a mix? :)

I have a pretty incredible guitar tone, but sometimes, it's just too much for a track. A heartbreaker considering all of the $$ I dumped into my rig. I'd say that 80% of the time I'm golden...but occasionally, I have to grab a different guitar, and start plugging into everything in my line of sight to find the right sound.

here's a crazy one for you...try a Lovetone Big Cheese through a DI...total insanity...but the right sound at the right time when the planets align :D

tms13pin

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by enharmonic
Aint it funny how some of the ugliest guitar tones will sit perfectly in a mix? :)

...but the right sound at the right time when the planets align :D
The greatest tone on its own is not necessarily the greatest
tone in a mix.

Solo it up, make it sound good, but don't be surprised when
you disengage the solo if it doesn't sound great with everything
else. Everything needs its space.

--Tom

Unburst

Originally posted by bjm007
I'd read that he plugged his guitar into a channel strip on the console and then inserted two (2) Universal Audio LA2A compressors where the output from the first was sent (cascaded) into the input of the second one...
hat's how I always heard it too.

Never cared too much for that tone but there you go...

Trending Topics