Black Friday / Cyber Monday - inadvertently opted out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Johnny Moondog, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have been watching the sales / deals,
    for weeks now - and all through the weekend.

I even got up extra early today, to check for the Cyber Monday deals.

I saw some great stuff / great prices.

But I could not decide what I wanted / how bad I wanted it.
    So...I ended up not buying anything.

That is out of character for me.

Anyone else in the same boat ?

Guitardave, LCW, Fat tone79 and 9 others like this.
  2. +NRG

+NRG Member

Yes, indeed.

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Internet Moderator/Super Hero Staff Member Supporting Member

I could be wrong. But it seems like the stores are offering more sales through the year now. Like I saw a bunch of Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc... and they all seem to have similar 15-25% sales. So the BF and Cyber Monday sales just seem watered down now and a way to get rid of older product. Which is fine. But 5 years ago Sweetwater was doing $299 BF deals on PRS SE models. Don’t see stuff like that anymore

4. juri

juri Member

Prices were low enough to buy what you were looking for, but not low enough to buy stuff you weren’t looking for.

Manufacturers know that if they sell stuff too cheap they’ll be competing against the same products in the used market and it’ll hurt their bottom line twice.

Heavily discounted products are usually the models that have a new improved version coming out or models/products that didn’t sell well to begin with.

5. squishcat

squishcat Member

Cyber Mon is now cyber week. Ugh. 15-20% off isn't **** when most everyone has to pay taxes on that now, but retailers are acting like that didn't just happen to everyone.

6. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Thought it was just me. Haven't seen anything on sale at Sweetwater or Musician's Friend that was any less expensive than baseline on Amazon.

120db, screamtone and LeftyGtrPlr like this.
  7. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I bought a few pedals that I couldn't pass up (DOD 440 @$40, Polara @ $80) but I have't seen anything truly compelling like the great Gibson Midtown blowout a few years ago...

8. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

I've found that having to pay taxes now has severely limited my impulse purchases (the tax change in my state just happened in October).

9. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I was just saying that this morning - it's so easy to find a deal, pretty much anytime,
    that the whole Black Friday / Cyber Monday thing, just seems anti-climatic now.

That is just what I was thinking.
    A few good deals, if you REALLY wanted/needed something - But I don't.

spiral likes this.
  10. monty

monty Member

I didn't get anything either. Not buying stuff just because it is a bargain, and what I did want I didn't find a good price on.
    I`m OK with that.

Jabby92, Fat tone79, jamester and 3 others like this.
  11. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

While I completely agree that 15% is not nearly as attractive when you have to pay 7% sales tax on top of it, I don't blame the retailer. To be fair, it is not the retailers fault or duty to recognize or compensate for taxes

Absolutely has for me too. My local shop is in a UEV zone with lower sales tax to attract shoppers (3.5%) so at least 15% discount there is still worth driving in. Plus, they are great folks and I like to support them. But yeah... I'd love to know how enforcing state sales tax has impacted internet sales because it definitely makes me second guess buying at all.

12. Lef T

Lef T Member

I bought an Amp11 big box.
    Lovepedal was having a big sale.
    The pedal sells for $215
    Lovepedal had it on sale for $150.
    That's about a 33% savings.
    That made me hit the buy button.

gmann, outdoorpja and abby_normal like this.
  13. squishcat

squishcat Member

Of course it's their responsibility, they are the retailer. 7% sales tax is not the norm, a lot of us pay near 9% or more. It's not solely the responsibility of the buyer to carry that burden. And, just as it has effected my purchase decisions, it has effected my sale price decisions (along with everybody else). If they want the sales, their bottom line needs to change because the market has been changed.

They cannot expect to get last years prices with this years new taxes. Thinking a retailer is above the buying market (us) is kind of a bootlicker stance, no offense intended.

14. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

WTF?

stratadp, seanp33, niassist and 4 others like this.
  15. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Pretty much in the same boat. There is nothing I really "need" and only a few things I kinda "want". I think I'll just hold onto my money this time instead.

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  16. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

The last-years/pre-tax prices were pre-you-should-pay-your-state's-sales-tax.
    The taxes are not new, right ?. It's just they are finally being collected.
    IMO, you should pay the sales tax for the state you reside in, and that's pretty much that... if you don't like your state's sales tax, get your state to drop it (HAH!) or move to a non-sales tax state.
    IF the online seller varied their price based on each individual buyer's sales tax 'burden', then price would vary all over the place as sales tax rates vary from state to state.

Not sure what part of 'pay your tax' you don't get.
    The situation we had before was unfair to the states, as internet sales weren't being taxed (if a sales tax existed for the buyer's state).
    Thank goodness that glaring loophole has been closed (by and large).

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Tax-rant aside, I just noticed that Mr. Black's inventory suddenly brought his Black Fuzz back from the Sold Out category.
    (I swear it was sold out yesterday)
    So, I just applied the 30% off and got it for a sweet 105$USD

Ah, luxurious DarlingClips shall be mine.

Gallery likes this.
  18. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

That is why I don't buy from the US anymore.

I used to , pretty often.

But the last pedal I bought (from the US) was
    $150 US for a Seymour Duncan Catalina Chorus (used - like new)
    + $35 shipping
    + exchange rate ( add another $62)
    + plus $10 border "handling fee
    + plus 15% sales tax, on the Canadian side of the border (add $30)

That $150 USD "bargain" ended up costing me $287 Cdn

"That's the last time I do that..." I thought

Nevets, squishcat and hippieboy like this.
  19. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

In my case, there wasn't anything at the any of the stores that got my attention or that I felt was worth checking out.

Instead of shopping, I did pick up a used, mint condition Way Huge Fat Sandwich (gold version) that I've had my eye on from a local seller.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

No. Sorry, but that is wrong. In most states the sales tax law is actually written in language that defines it as the buyers responsibility and the retailer is only responsible for collecting it.

The retailer sets their price based on the cost of goods and operation costs. If government mandated sales tax changes, it is not their responsibility to compensate for that in the retail price. That is just ludicrous.

Will it impact your decision to purchase. Absolutely. Because it is your burden. However, any discount they offer or negotiate is based on their cost of goods and cost to operate and stay in business and not sales tax. It's not their responsibility to alleviate your tax burden.