• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Black Ice (on-board overdrive) lol

Alka-Delics

What do you guys make of this?

http://www.blackiceoverdrive.com/

That tone control on your guitar...

...use it much?

Didn't think so...

Bring it to life with Black Ice, the battery-free on-board for your guitar or bass!

If you're like most players, there's a tone control on your guitar that rarely gets used. Now you can use it to dial in some fun with Black Ice, the amazing battery-free on-board overdrive.

Put Black Ice in your guitar and enjoy fingertip access to a variety of overdrive/distortion sounds. The Black Ice circuit can be configured for a touch of grit, a more aggressive grind, or a raw distortion that borders on 60s flavored fuzz. And with no batteries to worry about, Black Ice provides a lifetime of tone with no maintenance required, just like the tone control it replaces.

Black Ice is compatible with all (passive) pickup types including humbucking, Strat, Tele, P90 and lipstick style pickups.

Installation can be as easy as replacing the capacitor on your guitar's tone control with the Black Ice module. A variety of other wiring options are also provided for guitars with multiple tone controls and for those who prefer to access Black Ice via a switch.
First of all, this is not a product of mine and I am in no way behind this. They randomly sent me an email linking their site and FB page with some brief information... I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever, nor do I plan to have any now, or in the future.

Secondly, what do you mean I don't use the tone controls on my guitars? Of course I bloody do! I don't think I've met anyone who's played guitar for more than 2 months that doesn't tweak volume and tone pots. I mean, that's 14 year old bedroom stuff.

Listen to the sound samples on the site, if you wish... I can't imagine too many here being impressed.

Had to post this... I mean, the whole "use that tone control on your guitar much? ...didn't think so..." is laughable (to me).

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting concept, it doesn't sound like much though. I wonder how 'passive distortion' works?

ES330

INteresting concept, but the sound samples didn't make me want it...
maybe in time it will improve...

ERGExplorer

On one of the forums where the majority of players were heavy distortion users, I was surrounded by people who kept talking about how useless a tone knob was on a guitar. They often admitted that there was only one tone, CRUNCH!, and that was that.

And that's probably who this is marketed to.

mcdes

Member of no importance
On one of the forums where the majority of players were heavy distortion users, I was surrounded by people who kept talking about how useless a tone knob was on a guitar. They often admitted that there was only one tone, CRUNCH!, and that was that.

That makes total sense.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I have one sitting in my parts bin. I didnt think it was bad, exactly, it is just different. And the tone knob was a dealbreaker because I had a tele.
I am sure you could use it with an additional pot so you can keep the tone, the description doesnt mention this though.
Ive often thought of trying it with another guitar. Its actually a pretty dynamic sound, it just doesnt add gain ( volume ) to your sound.
If you really want to try it pm me.

Singlecutz

Why did they name this "Black Ice"? Because it is invisible and makes your tone dangerously slippery in parking lots?

spentron

If I DIDN'T use distortion I probably wouldn't use the tone knob much.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
i wonder it it loads down the signal in bypass ,,, if it`s true bypass ... I actually do have a guitar with 2 tones that I only use 1 on ...might be just trashy enough to get me over of a sonic wall...However .... if it mucks with the fine sound we all strive for .....not worth the trouble

JeffOlson

For years, I've thought about installing one of these in a guitar. I'm just never interested enough to pursue it. Besides, I DO use my tone knob, especially on my Teles...

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
I imagine it's just an encapsulated pair of diodes in anti-parallel. You could get the same effect for 25 cents in parts and a half-hour's time.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
stewmac says:
Note: Use a 250K pot as your Black Ice control. The instructions also include diagrams for wiring your Black Ice in a stomp box, and for using a push-pull pot to switch between the Black Ice and your tone control.
Black Ice isn't designed to replace your favorite distortion pedal. It won't make your amp a fire-breather, and it won't boost your volume or sustain. In fact, you may notice a subtle volume drop with the Hot and Industrial Strength wirings and high output pickups. Black Ice is not designed for use with active pickups.

Trending Topics