black keys fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zenmh, Sep 13, 2006.

1. zenmh

zenmh Member

what'll do it?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

MJM Foxey Fuzz
    Maestro Fuzztone

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

a Dimarzio Distortion Pup with a Boss distortion going through an old vintage ampeg way too loud.

Look around online there are interviews where the guy talks gear . . . he is a gear-hound supposedly, yet likes the old low-hi-end stuff

5. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I thought he used Zvex at some point. Might be mistaken, but I thought a Fuzz Factory was in there somewhere.

6. thebot

thebot Member

There's an interview with them in this month's Guitarist. He uses old amps like somebody was saying above (supros etc.) but live, 'some of that gear just doesn't hold up on the road, so I tend to use Fender amps these days, and a whole battery of fuzz boxes.' Doesn't mention which ones though.

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

on the Black Keys DVD, at the Austin show looks like hes using cranked silverface Super Reverb and either a MJM Foxey Fuzz or some old school fuzztone.

8. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

His current live rig includes two JTM45 style heads one into a 412 and one into a massive Marshall 812 cabinet. BIG.

He uses a variety of Fuzz pedals as well... definitely an old Maestro in there. He likes lo-fi tones.

I have talked with both of the guys after some shows... very much into gear and loved to talk guitars and amps.

BTW, the new record Magic Potion is great and full of fuzzed out thick riffage. I highly recommend it! I have been working on the new riffs all week.

9. utterhack

utterhack Member

He's a gear nut, and the rig does change pretty frequently. Saw them last week and was really, really impressed. For two guys, they do a pretty killer Zep impression (and I mean that in a good way).

That issue of Guitarist can't make it stateside fast enough :AOK

10. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I've seen pictures of his pedalboard a year or so back & he had a Fulltone Soul-Bender on his board BUT as everyone says his pedalboard keeps changing so I'm not sure which other fuzzes he uses BUT I read that one of his particular favourates was the Maestro fuzz!!