Black Keys - Guitar sound

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by soundmuppet, Apr 12, 2015.

1. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Firstly, love this track from them. It fits right in with my love for Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdVEIrVnIk

I really like the guitar sound on this one, starts at about 54 seconds and again at 3:15. Anyone know what's going on there? Seems like a very high gain sound, and at 5:14 I am assuming there is a doubling of the guitars, but it sounds like a synth overlay.

Great effect whatever they are doing.

2. Felix Leclerc

Felix Leclerc Member

Big Muff variant of some kind.

3. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Auerbach uses a green Russian Big Muff and a Shin-Ei Companion fuzz, that sounds a bit more like the muff to me. He also like to run his amps dirty

4. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Mmm! Never Explored a Big Muff, maybe it's time too because I really dig that tone.

I think Guthrie must be doing something similar on The Raven album as there is some similarity there.

I'm going to have to dig into the Black Keys a bit more. Don't know why they have been off my radar all this time.

Thanks

5. Smow09

Smow09 Member

The most recent rig rundown I saw had a green big muff and companion fuzz on his main board.
    His "backup" board had EQD fuzz, a hoof and terminal fuzz. On both boards he also uses an eq pedal to further shape the fuzz tones. The terminal fuzz has been on my wish list a while to try.