Black Magick Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oneleftnut, Feb 7, 2018.

1. oneleftnut

oneleftnut Supporting Member

I checked out the Supro booth at NAMM last month and saw they have a Black Magick Reverb. I didn't get to hear it firsthand while there. Checked their website but I don't see any info or release date. I can't remember if it also had trem or not, I should have gotten better photos.

Anyone also see this or hear anything?

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

I didn't think Supro had released any new amps. Are you sure it wasn't the Statesman?

3. oneleftnut

Positive. I remember standing over it and seeing Black Magick Reverb. It was next to the standard Black Magick and a Comet. Right if front of a Joe Perry display.

4. oneleftnut

Found it via Instagram! This is a vid of the head and cab. There was also a combo (One I saw)

JFGrn, jazzsnds and OverDrivenGtr like this.
  5. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

I messaged them via Facebook and they say it will be out around June and will be in conjunction with Lenny Kravitz.

6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Soothsayer likes this.
  7. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Another new amp from Supro, another set of operating class and wattage claims that don't make sense. :)

(Although I do think the original Black Magic sounds pretty damn great, and I'd be quite interested in one of these if the price weren't so much higher than, say, a SuperSonic S22.)

8. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

This actually got me a bit excited. I really dug my Black Magick. I only sold it fund my Jim Kelley, which is obviously a worthy reason. I had no issues with the amp other than the lack of Reverb and volume control in the small bar I was playing and this new model solves both of those. I could see myself owning one of these. When cranked that amp sounded great. All the gain was in the last 1/4 turn of the volume knob. It played very well with pedals due to the high headroom. I know people have issues with the price, construction, etc... but ultimately it was a very good sounding amp.

Ezzy911 and 70' s Tone like this.
  9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I love mine. No complaints - no regrets.
    This amp delivers in every way.
    I Highly recommend it.
    And no, I have not experienced the hum some others have claimed to hear, which is caused by poor performing 6973 tubes.
    [​IMG]

Ezzy911 and Gallery like this.
  10. Gallery

Had no hum from mine and I used both the stock tubes and NOS RCA's.

Ezzy911 and 70' s Tone like this.
  11. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

What difference in tone/performance, if any, did you experience between the stock tubes and the NOS RCA's?
    I sure do love the tone of the amp. :)
    Glad to hear others are as well. ;)

12. Gallery

I thought it was a great amp. The RCA's rounded out the tone a touch. Maybe a little fatter? or fuller? while maintaining the upper end crunch. Stock tubes were very clear, but maybe a little more brittle. It's hard to say because I also replaced the preamp tubes at the same time and the differences could have been attributed to them. As with most swaps the difference was subtle, but noticeable when listening under the microscope. Wouldn't be heard in a mix. Can't say I'd bother paying the premium for the power tubes if I were to get another one. I'd probably only drop in NOS pres. It sounded great as is. Best part was no need to bias with the swap. Worst part was getting to the tubes was a PIA and required removing the grill.

13. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I see a matched pair of the RCA 6973 Tubes, Gray Plates Top Disc Getter NOS (Test 101%)
    go for $125.00
    https://www.ebay.com/i/202322488717?chn=ps
    compared to Electro-Harmonix 6973 EH Power Vacuum Tube
    which are $18.98 each
    https://tubedepot.com/products/elec...MIs6WK7K7l2wIVRL7ACh2xAg5wEAQYASABEgLhX_D_BwE
    Big-time price difference. :eek:

14. Gallery

15. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Interesting. I didn't know that.
    Learn something new everyday... :D

16. Jo-Jo Beans

Jo-Jo Beans Member

I've been pretty stable gear-wise for the last year since switching to a Helix and playing through my Fender SuperSonic 22 and Egnater Rebel 30. But this amp has me GASsing again HARD. I really wanna sell my SuperSonic or one of my Strats and grab this amp. Maybe it's because Andy and Mike Hermans make it sound soooo good in their demos. There's a Guitar Center near me that has one of the older Black Magicks in stock, so I think I'll head up there this weekend and give it a try and see how I like it before I pull the trigger.

17. oneleftnut

Mine arrived yesterday. Will be playing it this weekend paired with an AC15C1. Reverb is nice and lush. Cranking both Vol 1 and 2 and adjusting the master volume gives really nice crunch. Honeymoon phase going on so I'm in love.

[​IMG]

e???, 70' s Tone and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  18. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

The Black Magick is one hell of an amp. Terrific speaker. Stellar tone. Plenty of volume. You're gonna love it. Enjoy!!!

19. Serenity

Serenity Member

Torn between this and the Statesman. :confused:

Emcee_m_prime, 70' s Tone and MHG like this.
  20. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Either way, you'll be getting a winner! ;)
    The question is Head or Combo... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

e??? likes this.