Black metal : the new catch-all thread

tsar nicholas

Love Hellhammer by the way -- the band and the drummer both! Tom G. Fisher is really one of the rare 100% certifiable geniuses in pop music

Oh hey, how do you guys like Botanist? I don't super love their overall sound, but I do love the conceptual-art aspect of their thing and appreciate that they're trying to put kind of a novel slant on the genre. And you know I love me some nature-metal in general. Though I do think that their promo photos of, say, drum kits sitting in the middle of the woods are creeping awfully close to Immortal levels of meta-satire
This is pretty much what I think. It's a cooler idea than it is a band. I've found some of their stuff interesting but they aren't really a band I find myself listening to much.

I just looked botanist up and the imagery is amusing.

http://botanist.nu/lore.html

They(he?) are a good example of how far the "metal" label reaches nowadays. The guitars in the following are hardly distorted at all and the vocals are the one thing that really ties it to old school black metal:

tsar nicholas

^ yeah, indeed! It's like when the Tesla unplugged LP was still being called "metal"

re : guitars : I think it's the case that all the string instrument sounds on the Botanist recordings are hammered dulcimer, which is a fair bit of the novelty appeal

total agree that the idea / rap is the coolest thing about the act

GarMan

Supporting Member
Absu

incredible interview with Proscriptor McGovern:

Skip to the last 40 seconds or so if you are impatient. EDIT: The good part is missing, there must be another version I have seen with some craziness at the end.

Bvd Ice is so Kvlt

EDIT: Full Interview With Correct Ending

Saw Absu about 15 years ago at my friend's record shop. It is long gone now, but that was the only place in Austin to buy Black Metal.

Anyways, he closed the shop for the night, and there were about 15 of us in the shop. Absu set up in the middle of the store, cranked the amps, and set the place on fire! They CRUSHED!!!!! Everyone was just freaking out with them. It was one trippy experience!

Another funny story. Does anyone know Thornspawn?

They are a hispanic Black Metal band out of San Antonio. I saw them in San Antonio in 97, and Deity opened for them. The venue was freaking odd as hell. The first floor was a Hip Hop club, the second floor had the concert venue. The bar was on the second floor too, so you had this crazy ass black metal satanic band on stage in full corpse paint and all the patrons of the hip hop club downstairs had to come to the second floor to buy drinks whilst the band was blaring! They were literally scared out of their f'ing minds! I heard one guy said, "Yo! This Kiss? These white boys are crazy!" HAHA. The guy and his friends were these tall, buff, tough looking guys, but there eyes were so big. They had that, "Let's get the F out of here fast" look on them. It was hilarious. I talked with them, and explained the whole thing. It was a blast.

It was so weird and amusing at the same time. Fun times!

Last edited:
One thing folks may not realize about Absu is that Proscriptor manages to sing and play drums on that material at the same time. I have a disc of live stuff that a friend burned for me and it's incredibly tight.

Edit, it looks like one of the guys out front also assists.

Last edited:

tsar nicholas

One thing folks may not realize about Absu is that Proscriptor manages to sing and play drums on that material at the same time. I have a disc opf live stuff that a friend burned for me and it's incredibly tight.
^ I did not know this. That is freaking amazing. I can't imagine trying to keep those tempos going while doing the vocalizations *and* remembering the lyrics

@Shooto : that "One Man Metal" series is wunderbar, thanks for posting it! My favorite part is where the cat from Xasthur catches himself about to say something bad. He's like "Oh yeah, sitting here in the park watching all these people in their dreamworlds, sometimes I just wanna sh... uh, shake them awake!" Also love the part where he visibly scare the daylight outta the "Vice" interviewer

tsar nicholas

Anybody have suggestions on good instrumental black metal / black ambient / dark ambient? I'm working on something and need some brainfuel

shooto

Anybody have suggestions on good instrumental black metal / black ambient / dark ambient? I'm working on something and need some brainfuel

^ though not totally instrumental, the vocals are more woven into the music rather than sitting out front...making it more ambient...

bet you can't listen to the whole thing in one sitting

welcome to hell :phones

Last edited:

Trending Topics