• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Black metal : the new catch-all thread

tsar nicholas

^ Behemoth is a Polish band that started out back in the original early-mid 90s black metal era as more or less a straight black metal band. Over the years, they've evolved into a blackened death metal band with a pretty slick, highly-produced sound. I like them a hell of a lot and their two most recent records are in my regular rotation. I think they have great songwriting chops, and the musicianship is tops.

They get a lot of flak for being 'sellouts' or 'too commercial' or 'not true black metal,' but those ideas are kind of more of a joke than Behemoth ever was.

One thing folks may not realize about Absu is that Proscriptor manages to sing and play drums on that material at the same time. I have a disc of live stuff that a friend burned for me and it's incredibly tight.

Edit, it looks like one of the guys out front also assists.
Yeah, he splits vocals with the bassist now but it's still impressive as hell that he handles some of the vocals and does all that crazy drumming. Just one more reason why Absu and Proscriptor are the best. I'm still waiting to see them for the first time though. Proscriptor's health problems have caused me to miss them at least once.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Hey, have you guys heard the recent Have a Nice Life EP? I just downloaded it, haven't yet listened to it

http://www.enemieslist.net/timeofland
I need to check that out! Have A Nice Life is another one of those kinda indie-ish black metal influenced bands. It's kind of a weird group of bands, but I like it. Circle of Ouroborus is another favorite. One of the guys behind it is a huge Joy Division fan and a lot of that comes through.

tsar nicholas

^ Circle of Ouroborus! That cat really lays the Joy Division on pretty thick, vocally. Love the riffs / music, and the muted tones are pretty necro and intriguing

I'm huge into Have a Nice Life, mainly for the one tune "Bloodhail," which in my book is one of the best tunes of the century so far and justifies the whole bloated mess that is "Deathconsciousness"

I JUST DON'T ACCEPT THIS
I JUST DON'T ACCEPT THIS
I JUST DON'T ACCEPT THIS
I JUST DON'T ACCEPT THIS AT ALL

Ampegasaur

Holy crap, a Black Metal thread on TGP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....I don't even, how in the, what the.....Think of the children!!!!

tsar nicholas

^ Love blackened death metal, thanks for the clip!

--

If there are cool local black metal [etc] bands in y'all's towns, post 'em up! I want to get more hip to what's happening on a local level in different places.

In Phoenix / Tuscon right now, my faves are the aforementioned Sovereign (trad) and Chaos Ascending / Infernal Awakening (two separate acts, cross-personnel-having Watain-style black thrash)

tsar nicholas

Absolutely love love love some blackened doom. I might go so far as to put one of my all-time favorite bands, Dark Castle, in that category sometimes.

oh p.s.

If any of you guys make black metal or related stuff, feel free to post it up in here

OK, why not.

This actually started as a joke, on a local music messageboard, but ultimately, I am pretty happy with the results. I did feel silly doing the vocals.

I played everything. The idea was to do the songs as quickly as possible. Most of them were done in anywhere from 1 to 2 hours from start of writing to final mix.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/humunculusoftheussr/sets/completeworksofhumunculusofthe[/SOUNDCLOUD]

tsar nicholas

OK, why not.

This actually started as a joke, on a local music messageboard, but ultimately, I am pretty happy with the results. I did feel silly doing the vocals.

I played everything. The idea was to do the songs as quickly as possible. Most of them were done in anywhere from 1 to 2 hours from start of writing to final mix.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/humunculusoftheussr/sets/completeworksofhumunculusofthe[/SOUNDCLOUD]
^ Loving this ish! I dig the industrial-meets-black-metal vibe. "Black Iron Prison" is my jam. Nice 'necro' guitar sound on there.

What-all gear did you use?

This is great. Black Metal is great, I love it all, honestly, even some of the new American bands. Personally, and I have no idea why, but early Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Burzum and Emperor really did it for me when I first heard them. It's great stuff if you can get past the cartoony extra curricular activities the Mayhem guys were getting up to back in the day.

And I know they get **** on a lot for not being Cvlt enough, but the new Deafheaven album is fantastic. As a fan of black metal, show gaze and post rock, I really did enjoy it a lot.

As far as American Black Metal goes, though, hats are off to Weakling for being there first.

What-all gear did you use?

It was kind of all over the map. It was not all recorded at one time. I used multiple guitars(Scott French, ParkerNitefly?), basses and pedals. I think the amp on most of it was a Bogen PA head with 2 EL84's that I converted into a guitar amp.

Drums sounds came a variety of sources, including a Casio keyboard and a Blue Man Group electronic percussion toy:

Some of the tracks used the Casio for cymbals while the "drum" sounds were me pounding on my desk, with mics underneath, heavily eq'ed. The first track is one example of this.

Any reverb heard is probably the plug-in that came with the Lexicon interface I was using when I made this.

The acoustic on Black Iron Prison was probably a Yamaha AEX1500.

tsar nicholas

these guys are more doom...but they are really blowing up...my original drummer was their original drummer, but he's not with ITCOS anymore...I think it's him on the recordings though

http://inthecompanyofserpentsdoom.bandcamp.com/
^ This is definitely pretty much straight doom, but it's GREAT! Strong grovvy 70s flavor, a little bit of scuzzy biker rock thrown in. DIG

You should share this one in the Doom Room as well, they'd love it

tsar nicholas

This is great. Black Metal is great, I love it all, honestly, even some of the new American bands. Personally, and I have no idea why, but early Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Burzum and Emperor really did it for me when I first heard them. It's great stuff if you can get past the cartoony extra curricular activities the Mayhem guys were getting up to back in the day.

And I know they get **** on a lot for not being Cvlt enough, but the new Deafheaven album is fantastic. As a fan of black metal, show gaze and post rock, I really did enjoy it a lot.

As far as American Black Metal goes, though, hats are off to Weakling for being there first.
^ Hellz to the chea! The new Deafhaven record is simply incredible. I can't BELIEVE I missed them when they came through Phoenix a couple weeks ago. It really is the perfect marriage of pop and black metal, it's like the platonic ideal. PLUS great graphic design

Good call re : Weakling! They are pioneers and the tunes are great.

tsar nicholas

Alcest pretty much already did what Deafhaven is doing except much better IMO.
Huh, I love Alcest but for whatever reason never thought they sounded all that similar. I think Alcest is much more 'black metally' whereas Deafhaven (especially on "Sunbather") is way way more poppy.