Black metal : the new catch-all thread

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Platinum Supporting Member
Just listened to "Disheartenment" by Forgotten Tomb. Absolutely blown away.

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Platinum Supporting Member
^ I've been meaning to check those guys out forever. What's the scoop on them / the record?
Brand new to them, but from what I gleaned on the net, they've changed their style quite a bit from the early stuff (that Disheartenment came from). Apparently, they were originally blackened doom, but now have much cleaner vocals and explore different lyrical themes than the suicide/depression that they did early on.

This thread has a wealth of education in black metal for me. Lots of amazing stuff here. Appreciate folks taking the time to post it.

tsar nicholas

It was kind of all over the map. It was not all recorded at one time. I used multiple guitars(Scott French, ParkerNitefly?), basses and pedals. I think the amp on most of it was a Bogen PA head with 2 EL84's that I converted into a guitar amp.

Drums sounds came a variety of sources, including a Casio keyboard and a Blue Man Group electronic percussion toy:

Some of the tracks used the Casio for cymbals while the "drum" sounds were me pounding on my desk, with mics underneath, heavily eq'ed. The first track is one example of this.

Any reverb heard is probably the plug-in that came with the Lexicon interface I was using when I made this.

The acoustic on Black Iron Prison was probably a Yamaha AEX1500.
^ super necro! Sounds great.

p.s. you have an AEX1500? LUCKY -- that was one of my most-desired guitars when I was a kid. Still lust after them

Named

Ah, I see that you all have built a thread for me to live in while I've been away. Not sure if any of you are awake at this late hour, but to those who are, may you be well met.

tsar nicholas

Ah, I see that you all have built a thread for me to live in while I've been away. Not sure if any of you are awake at this late hour, but to those who are, may you be well met.

^ this track is absolutely wunderbar! In addition to the general radness, 80s touches, and tempo shifts, it actually kind of swings!

@Braddell : Loving that Shining track. That is some creepy ish yo

Named

What's with the mania of metal fans for classification?
First, let me say that the graph you posted was neither comprehensive, nor wholly accurate by my reckoning. That aside, on to your question.

It's pervasive throughout all of music to add descriptors to the main genre at play based on common patterns associated with a particular sound. Invoking these descriptors let's other people know what to expect from a particular band when writing a review or when seeking bands of a similar sound. It's what prevents you from getting recommendations for various acid rock or noise rock bands when you're looking for british invasion styled rock.

CharAznable

I do think metal takes the classification thing to the extreme.

You can have the exact same song, if it's about pot it's stoner metal, and if it's about funerals it's doom!

The same song, if it's about trolls in the forest it's troll metal, and if it's pirates, it's pirate metal!

Still waiting for ninja metal. Wait, it exists, right?

Named

I do think metal takes the classification thing to the extreme.

You can have the exact same song, if it's about pot it's stoner metal, and if it's about funerals it's doom!

The same song, if it's about trolls in the forest it's troll metal, and if it's pirates, it's pirate metal!

Still waiting for ninja metal. Wait, it exists, right?
Granted, some of these distinctions can be rather nuanced, but there's more often than not a basis within the sonic content of the material that will make it better classified under a specific sub-genre.

Stoner more often than not lies within a broader doom genre. Where it gets its own distinction lies in having a bit of a southern vibe to it. This is not to be confused with sludge, which can be quite similar.

Doom is an expansive genre with many subgenres branching out from it. The hallmark of doom lies in pervading slower tempos.

I contend that inventing genres out of lyrical content is more often than not a marketing ploy that holds very little baring to the sonic qualities of the music. I have seen the terms pirate metal and troll metal thrown about, but I feel that these bands are better classified under previously existing genre tags such as melodic death or folk/black or whatever genre best fits the band in question. Interestingly (well, to me, maybe not to you), the instance of DSBM, or depressive suicidal black metal, has sprung up where a sub-genre that relies heavily on particular imagery within its lyrics simultaneously accompanied an emerging trend within sonic patterns unique to the subgenre. I wouldn't say that all bands that have depressive and suicidal lyrics fall under the DSBM subgenre, or that all DSBM bands are restricted to suicidal lyrical content, but that makes the "lyrics do not equate to genre" argument a bit tougher to adequately impress upon people at times.

Headwinded

There's a lot of listeners bent on the idea of professing to enjoy only a very narrow subset of music, so they can say "well I only listen to hypno-post-black-orchestra-grunge". It keeps them looking obscure, and keeps them feeling that they have eclectic, superior tastes.

Get into a debate with an advocate of such things, and tell them "so... what you're saying is that you listen to metal", sit back, and watch them have a meltdown

Electronic music fans tend to suffer from the same illness, it seems.

That chart isn't even close to being accurate, for one thing. It has death metal leading straight into metalcore which is really an offshoot of hardcore while grindcore was and is a cross between death metal and hardcore, not black metal. The chart also has Swedish death metal when I think it means melodic death metal, which at any rate has nothing in common with grindcore. If goth metal is even really a unique thing then I'm fairly certain it came from industrial, not stoner or doom. It's odd that stoner metal is in there in the first place when it's just a subgenre of doom. And then I have no hell of an idea what "hard alternative" is.

I understand all this subgenre stuff but I tend not to care enough to use it. I pretty much stop at grouping everything into doom, black metal, death metal, hardcore and occasionally post metal. Obviously there are bands that don't fit cleanly into any single category but I'm not going to create a new genre for every single band or tiny subset of bands out there.

Trending Topics