• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Black metal : the new catch-all thread

Named

It is kind of surreal reading Deafheaven described as Black Metal-inspired Pop music. That said, that almost fits. Like moonshine-infused children's drink or something.

Anyway, on that note, how is (or just is) the Metal (Black Metal, Doom, or heavier music in general) mixing or inspiring Shoegazing or more ambient type of metal? I'm a big fan of Deafheaven's Sunbather I think in part because it blends the heavy sounds with a diverse range of music and moods. I also find myself getting drawn to bands classified as Shoegazing, Post-Rock, Post-Metal, or bands like ISIS, and say something like Jesu, that are able to blend that really hard/heavy sound with some really pretty clean/ambient parts (regardless of the actual classification).

Anyway, I've read about bands moving from more of a Black Metal (or Doom/Death/etc.) metal to more of a Shoegaze sound. Do you see much of that, and if so what are some good examples as far as bands, movement, etc.? I've read about that, however this is still a new thing for me so my examples are both vague and fairly limited.

-Cheers
Well, The Last Rebel brought up a beast in Bosse de Nage. Those guys are awesome, definately worth a look.

The melding of shoegaze and black metal has been going on for a few years now. Deafheaven seems to have exploded, and good for them they're pretty solid. If you're looking for more in that vein check out

Cold Body Radiation

Named

For more post-rockish type stuff with a bit of black attitude you can try

Heretoir

Líam

Buzzard Luck

Checking out a bunch of the recommendations now - wow, I stand corrected - there is a lot of great new music being made with definite influences from the classic Black Metal sounds and styles. It's nearly heartwarming, in a chilling sort of way!

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
More Blackened Doom

How about Melechesh - Love this band. They are more like Oriental Blackened Death

tsar nicholas

^ love it!

Speaking of Wreck and Reference, they're playing with Botanist at the Lab in SF on 08-10, with Grayceon -- n.b., my metally chums from the Yay!

Named

Supposedly there's a new album due out from this project sometime this year. Hopefully that's actually true.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Inquisition - Great Band! The vocals sound like a Robot Black Metal Singer.

Classic Black Metal Band from Greece - Necromantia

Of course the legendary Sodom. You can see where Mayhem got most of their sound from right here.

More Classic Black Metal. Attila's first band.

Japan's Sabbat

Japan's Sigh

Last edited:

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
More Sabbat

Thorns

Man, too many to mention or list, but I am going to keep this thread going. I love Black Metal!!

I haven't followed Melechesh too closely, but I do like them and I know Proscriptor was playing drums with them for a while.

It is kind of surreal reading Deafheaven described as Black Metal-inspired Pop music. That said, that almost fits. Like moonshine-infused children's drink or something.

Anyway, on that note, how is (or just is) the Metal (Black Metal, Doom, or heavier music in general) mixing or inspiring Shoegazing or more ambient type of metal? I'm a big fan of Deafheaven's Sunbather I think in part because it blends the heavy sounds with a diverse range of music and moods. I also find myself getting drawn to bands classified as Shoegazing, Post-Rock, Post-Metal, or bands like ISIS, and say something like Jesu, that are able to blend that really hard/heavy sound with some really pretty clean/ambient parts (regardless of the actual classification).

Anyway, I've read about bands moving from more of a Black Metal (or Doom/Death/etc.) metal to more of a Shoegaze sound. Do you see much of that, and if so what are some good examples as far as bands, movement, etc.? I've read about that, however this is still a new thing for me so my examples are both vague and fairly limited.

-Cheers

Honestly, it never really crossed my mind until I gave Deafheaven a listen, and I really do like what they do. Being a fan of Black Metal, Shoegaze and Post Rock it spoke to a lot of what I like, and it turns out they make a lot of sense together. Take a reverbed out clean trem picked post rock line, add a ton of distortion, and suddenly it makes a lot of sense.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Always good. I haven't been following Jef's legal troubles lately, does anybody know what's happened?
Not sure? Last I heard he got two years probation for domestic aggravated battery. I don't know if he is any other type of trouble. I hope he is doing well.

Changing subjects, I like what Scott (Xasthur) is doing with Nocturnal Poisoning. It is very nice.

Halowords

Honestly, it never really crossed my mind until I gave Deafheaven a listen, and I really do like what they do. Being a fan of Black Metal, Shoegaze and Post Rock it spoke to a lot of what I like, and it turns out they make a lot of sense together. Take a reverbed out clean trem picked post rock line, add a ton of distortion, and suddenly it makes a lot of sense.
That sort of sums up my thoughts. I like (for lack of a better word) atmospheric music. So what I have hear of Shoegaze speaks to me. So do bands like The Cure or A Perfect Circle that have, or can blend in, a sort of melancholic vibe or inject a sort of serious/somber mood.

Not to be all "emo," but generally I gravitate toward music that makes me feel something or be introspective, whether that's sadness, happiness, wistfulness, anger, whatever. Where a band like Deafheaven or ISIS really works for me, albeit in different ways, is they can really blend heavy sounds, musically and vocally, then back off and inject these beautiful, clean, sweet musical parts. I appreciate the extremes.

I also like that Metal is (or seems to me to be) branching out and breaking the rules. Not that it all has to, yet I like the blend of different styles or trying different sounds/textures/insert-cliche'-here/etc. It works for me. I think that is what I enjoy about "Post" Rock & Metal. Also, bands like Agalloch blend different vibes in ways that work surprisingly well, perhaps more so because the clean/acoustic/mellow stuff accentuates the heavier stuff, and vice-versa.

Pertinent to Black Metal, while I'm generally not a fan of "screamo" vocals, I'm new to this style of music and I find it interesting on its own merit. It is also a nice counter-point to the down-tuned Doom/Stoner/Djent/whatever-you-want-to-call-it stuff I've been listening to a lot lately.

-Cheers

Gretsch 5120

I haven't followed Melechesh too closely, but I do like them and I know Proscriptor was playing drums with them for a while.

Their drummer (for quite some time now) is Xul; a nice guy and awesome drummer in his own right. A guy I worked with played bass for them and also has an extreme death metal band with Xul (aside from Melechesh).

We played with Hivelords and Sadgiqacea last night. Bands were billed as having a "blackened" element on the flyer, and both did, though Hivelords were more overtly Black Metal. Both were great, and are on tour together for a while, I think.

from last night

Trending Topics