• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Black Metal

Pastafarian

They released some great albums which IMO is the era/flavor of Black Metal that I prefer.

On a side note some funny humor regarding how serious the artists are (and they really are - Mayhem for ex.) is quite amusing.

HAHA that was awesome! Yes I know how serious these guys take this stuff so that was hilarious.

mikebat

Vice did a good segment on True Norwegian Black Metal, definitely worth a listen even if you do not like the music.

The interview with Gaahl at the end is ultimately fascinating, a must see.

jammwill

Varg is a psycho, but he is very interesting to listen to. He has a YouTube channel called ThuleanPerspective, where he discusses a lot of different matters (sadly, mainly political and phylosophical, many of which it's hard to agree with IMO), but he recently had a video talking about non-metal influences on Burzum. And this really proved to me that Burzum truly is a very special and unique band in the world of metal overall, incomparable to any other act. I was particularly intrigued to hear he was highly influenced by white-label house and techno. Love this music and I'm not even a bit of a metalhead.
Yeah, Varg is a real piece of work. Pic from his murder trial:

slybird

Metal genres confuse the hell out me. When I listen I hear so little difference between them, then ask why they just can't all be simply called metal.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Varg is a psycho, but he is very interesting to listen to. He has a YouTube channel called ThuleanPerspective, where he discusses a lot of different matters (sadly, mainly political and phylosophical, many of which it's hard to agree with IMO), but he recently had a video talking about non-metal influences on Burzum. And this really proved to me that Burzum truly is a very special and unique band in the world of metal overall, incomparable to any other act. I was particularly intrigued to hear he was highly influenced by white-label house and techno. Love this music and I'm not even a bit of a metalhead.
I usually can separate the man from the music, but not with Varg.

CJReaper

The states has some kickass black metal.

Inquisition is probably my favorite. 2 piece band and heavier than 95% of the bands I've seen.
I have some video I filmed of them about eighteen years ago at a local club called Planet Hot Rod, the "singer" started the show with his invocation of hell, Satan and all things generally unpleasant, it was very Spinal Tap, I need to find a way to upload it. :D They were opening for a now defunct Black Metal band from Portland OR. called Thy Infernal, they were really, really good.

Chrome Dinette

Yeah, there's a lot of distance between Symphony X and A.C. but some genre distinctions can get ridiculous. Like, the difference between funeral doom and stoner metal can come down to whether Satan is smoking pot or not.

Right, I tend to think of genres as just a general guide, not anything to take too seriously.

filtersweep

Vice did a good segment on True Norwegian Black Metal, definitely worth a listen even if you do not like the music.

The interview with Gaahl at the end is ultimately fascinating, a must see.

LOL- Look where he is today- practically singing Broadway show tunes, if you know what I mean.

When it comes to black metal, the music is one thing, the bands another--- but the hardcore fans are way out there.

TCMx3

Yeah, there's a lot of distance between Symphony X and A.C. but some genre distinctions can get ridiculous. Like, the difference between funeral doom and stoner metal can come down to whether Satan is smoking pot or not.
well and how do you characterize a band like bongripper who have doom song titles, a stoner band name and no lyrics?!?!?!

ivers

My favorite BM band..

For me this song is very typical black metal, and one of my very favorites in the genre.

Enslaved are a bit more eclectic, and maybe more progressive viking metal than pure BM, but I think it's natural to talk about them in the context of BM, as an evolution upon the genre.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom