• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

black or white tele, i cant decide.

black or white

• black

• white

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

buddyboy69

Help me decide what color to paint my re-built 74 ibanez telecaster copy. Im really torn between white and black. This is the state its in now, plays and sounds great. Ive had it since 1990 and have modified the crap out of it to the point where i needed to rebuild or use the parts, which was basically the neck. I giged this for 6 years at one point so i decided to put it back to basic tele. So what do you think, black or white. Other suggestions welcome.

SPROING!

White, for a couple of reasons.
One, gloss black is a mother to paint and make it look right. Apart from gold top gold, it may be the toughest to make look good. White is super easy to pull off.

Two, white guitars look fantastic under lights on stage.

GibsonLives

Silver Supporting Member
Black is boring IMO...maybe because i had too many as a kid, and associate black with teenaged metalheads desperate to look brooding and sinister. white, on the other hand, looks big and bold and proud, especially contrasted with a black pickguard. I also dig vintage white with a white guard.

buddyboy69

O.p. here. I was leaning towards white, but seeing a few black ones here on tgp, i couldnt pick, some looked really bad ass. But those had double white binding and this wont. Although i can paint them on, ive done that before. Hmmmmm. I want to start paint tomorrow, tough call for me.

Im also thinking of aging the metal and a light relic. Im usually not a fan, but this one paid its dues and would be fitting.

VicAjax

Male Supermodel
i luuuurv black with white binding. black with no binding, not so much..

so my vote is white.

buddyboy69

White. Can you keep the black binding?
there is no binding, its old brown paint from its last paint job. i could put binding on but i dont want to because its not a great piece of wood. i could paint it on but idk if i want to do that either. keeping it simple i guess.

buddyboy69

interesting story on this one though. i had a girlfriend in college that grew up in stonham mass. when she was like 14, her and her friends used to go and watch aerosmith rehearse near where she lived, and generally hang around. aparently, one rehersal this particular guitar was kicking in and out on Brad Whitford, and was pissing him off. enough so that he handed it to said girlfriend and said keep it, and then years later she gave it to me. it was originally yellow and the bridge pickup had a break in the coil. i realize there is no way to verify, just the story from an ex girlfriend and a few nods from her gal pals that were there. but i thought it was a cool story. and no im not going back to yellow.

BTW previous state. it was bad.

I want to give an answer that is Specific to this little guitar.

I do like white, but not for a rehabbed guitar like this. I suggest a very primitive black finish, something you can just wipe on and be done. To be frank, this is not a 100% perfectly shaped Fender T body and so it shouldn't be fussed over. Spend your time getting the fretwork, the nut, the tuners, the bridge and saddles, and the pickups just right and do not waste much time or money blinging up the body.

buddyboy69

I want to give an answer that is Specific to this little guitar.

I do like white, but not for a rehabbed guitar like this. I suggest a very primitive black finish, something you can just wipe on and be done. To be frank, this is not a 100% perfectly shaped Fender T body and so it shouldn't be fussed over. Spend your time getting the fretwork, the nut, the tuners, the bridge and saddles, and the pickups just right and do not waste much time or money blinging up the body.
Yeah um, check check and check. New bridge hand made bone nut, fret job, tuners and pickups. Not my first rodeo. I assemble them before paint so all is perfect. Then paint.

K-Line

Vendor
I like white but black is really cool with a brown tort guard....and a rosewood board....so white gets it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom