Black Pearl Back in the House!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ♪♪♫♫♪, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

I just received my second BP30. The first one was a 1x12 combo, which I never should have sold. This one is a head and matching 2x12 cab. I got a good deal on eBay, and a $200 cash back rebate from live.com, so it ended up being a great deal.

What a flipping great amp! I pick up a MAZ 38 in between, and IMHO that amp's got nothing on the BP30. I find the BP much more versatile, sweeter sounding, quieter, and at least as well screwed together. The 2x12 cab with Eminence Red Fangs is fantastic.

The thing I love about this amp--aside from the tonal versatility--is how fantastic it sounds at ALL volume levels. Between the pentode/triode and 2/4 tube switches and the master volume, I can get inspiring tones all the way from whisper quiet to screaming loud.

Jeff Genzler really outdid himself with this design.

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Yes. Yes he did. Sleeper amp of the past couple YEARS, easy.

3. soniq7

soniq7 Member

x2

Love the BP30. Its the EL84 amp in my arsenal. Woot!

4. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I was playing mine all night last night. Such a smooth milkshake sounding amp. Yet, I can't get a bite in mine in the emporium. Looking for the head as well. 2X12 combo too much for me.

5. dead mike

dead mike Member

i so glad i found the thread on this amp. love mine, it does eerything i want, so many different sounds in there.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

That's because all these gearhead-booteek-only people won't believe anything PCB & massed-produced could EVER sound as good as their $3500 PTP Badcat (or whatever.) They don't know what they're missing. Their loss.

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Incredible amps.

I discovered some very good demos using these amps by a guy named Thor Oliversen on YouTube. He's demoing the guitars rather than the amp, but he's a good player and they recorded well. I've posted two, but there are several more.

Okay...one more,because I like it.

8. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

I just picked one up myself recently and love the thing. Funny you mention Maz 38...I had one and it didn't do much for me either...

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

My main amp before the Black Pearl was also a Dr Z Max 38 Studio. I liked the Z amps (also had a Max 18 and a Camden Ghia),but I thought the BP was just as good and more versatile.

Here's another demo by another guy. He starts out clean and gets progressively more distorted.