Black Pearl Owners: 1x12 or 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitslingerTim, Feb 28, 2008.

1. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I'm gonna order a Genz-Benz Black Pearl in the morning, but I'm on the fence as to which configuration to get. The lighter weight and cost of the 1x12 is appealing, but the thought of being able to crank and not damage the speakers is a plus for the 2x12. Can you get better tones at lower a lower volume with a 1x12?--that would be a factor. Persuade me one way or the other.

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

Not an owner ... but the 2x12 is very heavy ... don't think I'd want to move it around very often.

3. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

If you look around you can find the heads pretty cheap sometimes. One went for $675 in the emporium several weeks back. It and the right 112 or 212 cab would make a nice setup and you could choose your own speakers. To me 212 most combos are just too damn heavy to be practical. Just offering up another option if you don't have your heart set on a combo.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

No kidding, the Black Pearl 2x12 weighs one pound less than my Epiphone Blues Custom 30, so I know what to expect. The fact is, I'll mainly be recording with it, but considering the great deal I can get on 1x12, I could get an extension cab to go with it for the same price as most sellers are charging for the 2x12. Food for thought.

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I never buy used gear, I'm completely spoiled on new stuff. I already have a Marshall halfstack, so if a 4x12 config is needed, I'm set, but I'm tired of huge rigs: I want something mobile.

6. Rama

Rama Member

I have both combos and it's weird...the 2x12 version kills the single 12 at all volumes, gain and tone settings...just much bigger sounding..warmer..

My 1 x 12 sounds constipated and constricted eveb a tad brittle in comparison to its' bigger brother.

Great amps both.

7. bynt

bynt Member

If you don't mind the wieght, sure, go for the 2x12. It's such a good sounding amp and Genz Benz is great for technical support. In fact, you may want to call them and ask, I bet they'd shoot you in the right direction without trying to upsell. I really dig that amp but personally I think I'd go for the head so I could have both when needed/wanted.

What I've heard about the 1x12 is in line with what Rama just posted. I don't have any experience with the 1x12 but the two 12 is just way cool. Was too frickin' heavy though. Good luck, those are great sounding amps.

8. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

The rating on the Red Fang in the Black Pearl was recently changed from 30 watts to 50 watts, without an actual change in the speaker, so I would say you're unlikely to blow a 1x12.

John

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I totally agree. The BP30-112 sounds like a ukelele compared to the 212 and 310 models. I was really surprised at the difference when I A/B'd them.

10. es125luv

es125luv Member

You got to play the 3-10 model!!!

tell me how it sounded!

11. Miles

Miles Member

I own the 2x12...it is not THAT heavy, not nearly as heavy as some other 2x12s out there...it comes in at 68lbs which is pretty average. My lonestar classic was 92lbs. or so if that puts it in perspective.

I vote for the 2x12 since I know that mine has unparalelled backbone and punch to any other amp I have tried in the past 18 months. It just has this rich fat articulate smack in the mix with that Class A feel which makes it the perfect amp for me, really.

The 1x12 combo is also wonderful which got me on board with the black pearls to begin with.

12. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's a done deal, I went for the 2x12.