Black Sabbath 13 Tour

rspencer

Whole Austin show is on youtube, pretty good quality. Ozzy is horribly out of key for much of what I've watched, which matches the review from a friend who was there.
I can't tell from the video, but he also said Ozzy ended "Children of the Grave" with "Thank you, Houston."

Telebluze

Gold Supporting Member
V-man,

I was at both the Houston and Austin shows as well. Great summary, the band absolutely KILLED and it was pretty sad watching/listening to Ozzy. Geezer and Iommi were flawless, and the drummer (who I'd never heard of before this tour) was a perfect fit......he's a monster! There's no bigger Sabbath fan than me, and I can cut Ozzy as much slack as possible, but man......it was bad, he did his damndest to hang in there though.

I really like your comment about Geezer......you really do get a new appreciation for his playing when Iommi takes a ride.......you don't even miss the rhythm guitar dropping off. He's a freakin' force of nature!

Interesting side note, I was sitting in the center floor section at the Frank Erwin Ctr for the Austin show. About 15 mins before Sabbath started, I looked back at the sound board and Sharon was standing right next to the board.

I have a strong hunch that either she heard reports of how bad the vocals were in Houston, or she might possibly have read the review in the Houston Chronicle, which wasn't very flattering, and decided to show-up and hear for herself.

Either way, she listened to about 3 songs and was outta there.....she had heard more than enough.

I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but I predict the tour will end early.

Peace!

Jaimoe

[/QUOTE]

What a mess. Couldn't Sharon auto-tune the Ozzman?

Not even close to singing in key.

A mere shadow of what was once great.

A mere shadow of what represented the ultimate in evil.

V-man

Thanks for the compliments, confirmations, and contributions thus far, guys. Logistics and some other factors have persuaded me to sit the Tampa show out, so we're relying on you guys attending to keep us posted (I'll happily reference your updates in the OP).

As for me, my future attendance will probably hinge on three remotely unlikely factors: 1. Scraping enough disposable income for another floor seat, 2. the band changing up the setlist somewhat, and 3. The vocals issue being better addressed (or at the least, maintain status quo as the tour wears on).

Dumo

Supporting Member
Luckily I saw the original lineup a couple times and have no interest in seeing them on this tour. Ozzy is stealing people's money at this point. The band sounds good though.

Rockinrob86

The tampa show was awesome and I had a blast. I left thinking ozzy did really well, but listening to the clips, he was more out of tune than I remembered. I think he is more covered up at the venue/in person. In person I was too busy having my face blasted by the most evil sounding guitarist in existence, Tony Iommi.

The degree to which Iommi and butler are amazing cannot be overstated. They were insanely good. I would say Iommi has never been better! It seems that we have to make excuses for all the legends (Page, mick taylor, keef, Clapton, Gilmour, Gibbons, etc) and be satisfied with something from them because it is better than nothing. A perfect example would be Page, my favorite guitarist. The solos on Celebration Day are serviceable, but a mere shadow of his '73 all-time best creative and explosive style.

Iommi, at 65, is straight up, no excuses killing it. I felt like on the albums his leads got a little too diddly-diddly fast all the time, but at the show, he was playing his classic slow, dark melodic buildup to the fast stuff. The first chord of "War Pigs" hit you square in the chest, with pure power and TONE!

I scalped a lawn ticket for $20, and upgraded it inside the venue for $10 to jump somewhere in the middle of the venue, so I definitely feel that I got a deal.

In a year that has allowed me to see Leonard Cohen, Paul McCartney, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, The Black Crowes, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Bob Dylan and a few others, Black Sabbath was right up there with all of them. Great Show!

I went to the Tampa show last night. Ozzy was consistently flat all night long and it was pretty distracting. I wonder how his hearing is because he is consistently slightly flat and may be singing to the pitch in his head/memory, not what is happening at the time. Iommi was flat out awesome. Tone for days, especially during his lead breaks. Anyone know what amps he's using these days, he sounds killer. Geezer and the new drummer were also very tight and sounded great. All in all, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I went. The Andrew W.K thing really wasn't interesting to me as all he did was spin some tunes, throw out a couple t-shirts and talk a bit. I would've been happier with an opening band. I saw Alice Cooper open for Sabbath a few years back, that was one great show. I wonder if there's some way to get Ozzy's vocals in tune. He was consistently flat all night, so his singing is alright, it just didn't match the band. This is likely due to not being able to hear. Hopefully, they'll work it out. If Ozzy had nailed his vocal and stayed in tune, this would've been one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

V-man

Sounds like 3 for 3 with the reviews (and setlist). Andrew WK was throwing T-Shirts? What a gyp! None of that happened in Austin... Maybe because I was screaming ANDREW WK!!! ANDREW WK!!! Look at ANDREW WK'S SMOKING HOLE!!! every 4 seconds, like a Belieber. I also tried to take up a collection so we could buy his lousy $40 shirt that stuck out like a sore thumb at the Merch stand and get someone to wear it like the Hee Haw girls did, with a knot under the tits.

rspencer

Iommi was flat out awesome. Tone for days, especially during his lead breaks. Anyone know what amps he's using these days, he sounds killer.
Laney TI100. His latest signature amp. I believe he's sold off most or all of his Laney GH100TI's. Sadly, I couldn't afford one.

msteeln

Sounds like they'll be able to easily pitch-correct Ozzy for the eventual live releases, so it'll be enjoyable for those of us who miss the shows but don't miss the often meathead crowds or off mark Ozzy. And maybe Bill Ward will do his own Black Sabbath tour...:boxer

KHAN

Sounds like they'll be able to easily pitch-correct Ozzy for the eventual live releases, so it'll be enjoyable for those of us who miss the shows but don't miss the often meathead crowds or off mark Ozzy. And maybe Bill Ward will do his own Black Sabbath tour...:boxer
He'll just go in the studio and replace the vocals like he does on every other live recording. :rimshot

Sounds like 3 for 3 with the reviews (and setlist). Andrew WK was throwing T-Shirts? What a gyp! None of that happened in Austin... Maybe because I was screaming ANDREW WK!!! ANDREW WK!!! Look at ANDREW WK'S SMOKING HOLE!!! every 4 seconds, like a Belieber. I also tried to take up a collection so we could buy his lousy $40 shirt that stuck out like a sore thumb at the Merch stand and get someone to wear it like the Hee Haw girls did, with a knot under the tits.
There actually was a dude walking around with one of these on. Full face of Andrew W.K. with the blood dripping on his mouth. All I could think was WTF? I had heard that the guy was entertaining. If so, he had a very off night in Tampa. A whole lot of the house music playing before the show was AC/DC. Some Bon era, some Brian, some of the latest live album, but a good 8 to 10 in a row of just AC/DC. What does the DJ open with? AC/DC Thunder. I love AC/DC, but really? Like I said in an earlier post, I'd rather have seen an opening band. I know we've hashed over the DJ v. band thing in the past, but to have this as an opening act complete with tour t-shirts just seemed farcical to me. Maybe he's good at the club or as the feature act, but the performance at the show was just dismal and something anyone with an iPod could've pulled off. Spin a few tunes, yell a little bit, throw out 2 or 3 t-shirts, done. Just dismal.