Black Sabbath 13 Tour

JTM100

I went to the Tampa show last night. Ozzy was consistently flat all night long and it was pretty distracting. I wonder how his hearing is because he is consistently slightly flat and may be singing to the pitch in his head/memory, not what is happening at the time. Iommi was flat out awesome. Tone for days, especially during his lead breaks. Anyone know what amps he's using these days, he sounds killer. Geezer and the new drummer were also very tight and sounded great. All in all, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I went. The Andrew W.K thing really wasn't interesting to me as all he did was spin some tunes, throw out a couple t-shirts and talk a bit. I would've been happier with an opening band. I saw Alice Cooper open for Sabbath a few years back, that was one great show. I wonder if there's some way to get Ozzy's vocals in tune. He was consistently flat all night, so his singing is alright, it just didn't match the band. This is likely due to not being able to hear. Hopefully, they'll work it out. If Ozzy had nailed his vocal and stayed in tune, this would've been one of the best shows I've seen in a while.
I was at the Tampa show also. I had a great seat towards the front on Iommi's side of the stage. You are pretty spot on with your assessment of the show. Ozzy didn't seem like he could hear himself. Sabbath has never had a shortage of stage volume and Ozzy's hearing probably isn't all that great after all of these decades. Iommi's top cabs were mic'ed, so the guitar would have been at ear level.

msteeln

He'll just go in the studio and replace the vocals like he does on every other live recording. :rimshot
There have been so many legit live Black Sabbath w/Ozzy releases..., please provide a listing of when he did and didn't replace his vocals. From the many Sab shows I went to and even more bootlegs listened to I'm at a loss as to when Ozzy has been so off that he needed to replace a whole show's worth of vocals. He's been pretty consistantly on the mark from what I can tell thoughout his career as far as pitch goes, hell, he's even remembering lyrics now!, but this tour, who knows?

RichusRkr

Iommi has worked with amazing rock singers after Oz was booted in '78: Gillan, Dio, Hughes, even Martin. It seems like he's had pretty high standards... working Ozzie now must be the the friendship and money factors. I would think being on stage with a vocalist that couldnt hold a tune would be embarassing.

Iommi has worked with amazing rock singers after Oz was booted in '78: Gillan, Dio, Hughes, even Martin. It seems like he's had pretty high standards... working Ozzie now must be the the friendship and money factors. I would think being on stage with a vocalist that couldnt hold a tune would be embarassing.
I agree. Ozzy is a legend and a rock icon, but they really need to do something to allow him to hear properly so he can sing in tune. The rest of the band was stellar. I said it earlier, but I'll reiterate. Had Ozzy been in tune this show would've been epic. Tony was unbelievably good. Geezer and the drummer were killing it as well. Soooo, close. I've seen Ozzy before so I know he can sing, just something wrong here. We all grow older and our faculties diminish. I hear the man's voice, but I don't think he's able to hear what he needs to sing in tune. I hope they find a way. Tony had tone just to die for. Sounded soooo good!

Vishnu

no one goes through what TI has gone though with this tuneless halfwit in the name of friendship....it's all to do with the MONEY!

RichusRkr

well I imagine he has some astronomical medical expenses, and probably no insurance.. yeah its probably about the money(partly). I don't see Iommi as just a money grubber, to me he is a true artist to whom music is the priority. But for sure, the Ozzie Sabbath is a cash cow.

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
Iommi is Black Sabbath. He's been on every Black Sabbath album. During one tour Iommi's position on stage was center and Ozzy's spot was on the right.
You almost never see bands with the guitarist in the center, and the vocalist (ozzy) is at one of the sides.

V-man

well I imagine he has some astronomical medical expenses, and probably no insurance.. yeah its probably about the money(partly). I don't see Iommi as just a money grubber, to me he is a true artist to whom music is the priority. But for sure, the Ozzie Sabbath is a cash cow.
Perhaps, but there is also the loss of the great RJD (R.I.P.). As tight as Iommi & Co. are, a strong healthy singer would be all that is needed for a powerful new Sabbath album, but not a "legendary" one, and therein lies the question - how many more does Iommi have in him? A Sabbath album fronted by Ozzy was the way to go, especially with Ozzy performing admirably (in the studio) for his age. I think it made sense both as a business move and as a legacy to one of the most important bands in Music history. The only person worthy enough to follow Dio is the man Dio himself followed, and now the Sabbath legacy can come to a close in unity.

dharmabum29

I'm pissed I missed the West Palm show. They're not doing anything from Sabotage?!? One of my favorite Sabbath albums...

MrTAteMyBalls

Man, that sounds rough. Being on stage with out of tune vocals is the WORST. You know TI can hear that, but just has to act like it's sounding great. Ugggh.

Still, 13 is a pretty good album.....I rocked it at the gym today.

CharAznable

Saw them last night in DC...
Iommi sounds incredible, and so does Geezer...

Ozzy? When he's in tune he's awesome. That's about half the time.

RichusRkr

from what I've been hearing, half the time is an improvement. maybe by the end of the tour he'll up up to 75%.

RichusRkr

One reason I say Iommi not just about the money because he kept creating new music and sludging out releases even though they weren't really selling much. Does anyone have sales figures on the Iommi/Hughes releases? or the Martin era stuff, Cross Purposes..etc. However I just read somewhere that Iommi now is considered the highest paid guitarist in the world, I'll have to back and search for that article. I'm glad for him. He just stuck it out and kept at it when most others would have quit long before.

shoot now I'm remembering reading where they've cancelled whole tours because of poor ticket sales... wow..

first the guy gets his fretting fingers chopped off, stays with it.
first few albums just get blasted by music critics. his music virtually banned from US radio, sticks with it.
Band ravished by drug and alcohol abuse, sticks with it,
plagued by constant personel changes, poor record sales and cancelled tours,, sticks with it.

we sure can learn from this Iommi guy..

CharAznable

Also, gets cancer, sticks with it.

The man is a beast and I'm glad to have seen him, even if Ozzy is out it. I'm really regretting not having seen him with Dio.

msteeln

Just listened to some of the Palm Beach show and Oz is not even into it, not to mention way off pitch. At least Under The Sun came off OK, but I couldn't get half way thru Into The Void he's so bad. Something's gotta happen to remedy the mess or this will go down as their worst tour ever and a shame if it's their last.

Trending Topics