• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

black sabbath and heart with an Orange backline?

soulohio

What was that TV show that Sabbath and Heart were on that had them perform in front of an Orange backline? I ask because there is a video of a guitar slinger, maybe Gary Moore, I dunno but I didn't think the guy was associated with Les Pauls but there he was playing one...anyhoo the sound this guy gets is a benchmark of vintage Orange tone and I can't find the darn video!

edit: I think the show was Beat Club. The performer mat have been a very young Gary Moore but I cannot find the video.

Last edited:

jojogun1957

It was Beat Club,I dont ever remember seeing Gary Moore on any videos though.I know one of my favorites is Mountain doing dont look back.I would create a link to it if I knew how.

doomedfuzz

Those old Sabbath videos are from German TV. Iommi was and is a Laney guy - but he did flirt with Engl on the last Heaven and Hell tour.

soulohio

I think I have it narroweddown to Gary Moore on Beat Club. It is a video of him playing a Les Paul and the video has the whole hippy acid melting mural thing going on in the background. Many of the Beat Club videos of Moore were taken down from Youtube so this one may have not made the return trip... the Orange sound is awesome...really raw.

doomedfuzz

What we have here is a guitarist heavily influenced by Iommi (Matt Pike and his band Sleep). In fact so much that they showed pictures of Iommi on the big screen behind them at some of the tour stops last week, not the one I went to though (no screen for the Austin show) and they even sold a t-shirt at the show that said "The Deity" and had a picture of Iommi. But just look at his back line, 3 Orange stacks! - and it sounded godly!

soulohio

jajaja...yes mr doomedfuzz...Matt sounds really great there and he uses the V30's to great effect...in fact, I have never heard an Orange rig sound exactly like that and I always play the neck pickup with most of the high end rolled down at the guitar pot....methinks he gets that sound no matter what he plays thru...
The video I am thinking of sounds a bit closer to early Iommi. really nasty...has the low mids, the early Orange grind.

soulohio

Free circa 1970 on Beat Club

OK...I am getting closer to the amps... does anybody make a clone of these early, white face Orange amps? I have never seen one and I have looked at alot of Orange amps. These aren't particularly nasty but I never heard Koss ever sound anything but elegant no matter what he was standing in front of..

Top Bottom