Black Star Riders/Thin Lizzy.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by skronker, May 16, 2015.

1. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

These guys toured a little bit as Thin Lizzy playing TL songs.
    They worked up enough material and decided to rename the band out of respect for Phil.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I wager public backlash led to name change...
    It sounds pretty calculated to my ears...
    The early sans-Phil TL tours seemed respectful, but - as it kept going & dragging on w/ fewer & fewer actual Lizzy alumni - it was much more suspect.
    Kudos to Gorham (always my fave Lizzy guitarist), but just not feelin' this.

3. aroman

aroman Member

4. phodg

phodg Member

Both their albums are excellent. Yeah, it sounds Lizzy-ish but that's hardly a surprise. And after many, many years Ricky Warwick finally has the band to do his vocals justice. I saw the Almighty tons of times back in the 80's/early 90's and although they had a few decent songs they were always lacking something for me.

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I always assumed it was kosher to use the TL name as long as Brian Downey was involved. When he left for good, a new name was in order.

Me, I'm a big fan of both BSR albums, and the live show I saw was excellent.

6. dez

dez Member

They did a tour as TL with Scott, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton (of course all members of classic TL - Darren was an official member on Renegade and Thunder & Lightning), along with Marco Mendoza on bass and Vivian Campbell on guitar and Ricky Warwick. Great and respectful tour. Then BSR came along and there were some changes. I love the two BSR records bit I'm am glad that, without Brian and Darren, they didnt call it TL.

7. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I dig it!!!
    Big Lizzy fan....saw them in 78 with Moore, and 81 with Snowy White.
    Wish i had seen my favorite guitar line up (Robbo/Gorham ) but oh well.
    The only thing i dont like is the typical over compressed recording. To me,that sounds nothing like a LP through a Marshall.

8. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I saw them late last year & they put on a fine show. I think it showed class by not cashing in on an established name like TL. Many people would not have done the same I'm sure.

Tony

phodg likes this.
  9. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

Torn. I love TL & Phil Lynott and am glad seeing BSR keeping the music out there, but...

That dude copping PL's vocal style is weird.

10. phodg

phodg Member

Ricky Warwick has always sounded like that. He's not putting it on for BSR.

11. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

The guitar nerd in me feels compelled to point out that it's LP through Wizard and Engl.

12. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

I saw these guys twice on the Monsters Of Rock Cruise and they were great. Nice mix of Lizzy classics and new stuff, the band is killing it and Ricky is a damn fine frontman. Highly recommended.

13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Anyone else picked up Black Star Riders Heavy Lifting album, that just came out a few months ago? I like it, but I prefer the first 2 albums more. Hoping its a grower.

14. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

I'm a huge TL fan but I just can't get into this band. They have lots of fans, you guys like them, so I'll try listening to some more and see what I'm missing.