Blackbird or Cow Tipper?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by magnus, Feb 24, 2006.

1. magnus

magnus Member

Hell, I know this subject has been beat to death around here but I need more opinions.;)

Thinking of selling my BFSR to get something a little bit smaller that doesn't need the same kind of maintaince etc.

Blackbird (1700 $) and Cow Tipper (3000 $) are the candidates. At almost double the price, is the CT really worth it (in addition I'm gonna get hit by an extra 30 % sales tax and customs in either case).

I've heard some clips of the CT and wasn't overly impressed, I thought it sounded almost to refined and polite. The Blackbird clips on Fargens web site had more of that true twang and spank that I love from a Fender style amp.

Guys, help me out here!:jo

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

No sarcasm but it sounds like you answered your own question. I agree that the BB clip on Ben's web page is outstanding and for the price difference, no contest for me personally. That too is the sound and tone I'm looking for in my next amp.

Ask Mountain Blues about his opinion of the Fargen.

3. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Supporting Member

Never heard the CT but had the Super100. Presently own the BB 40w 6L6, 38 lbs, small profile, huge fender sound with better reverb.... buy a BB.... :AOK hope that helps!!!

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

If you like the Fargen clips, I would go with that.

However.....
    From a few players who have played both. The Cowtipper is well worth the additional money. As a matter of fact, one member on here was floored when they played the Cowtipper, and they are VERY familiar with Fargen amps.

The Cowtipper is more refined in that the bass does not flub, and the treble will not rip into your ears. Also a deeper sounding reverb. If that is too refined, and you LIKE flubby bass and harsh treble, the real Fenders are still unbeatable IMO. Like yourself,I sold my BFSR, but kept my 66 Pro and Vibro.

5. GM1

GM1 Member

You might consider a used Cow, around 2K

I just got my new Cow 35 from Tony and to me it's worth every penny.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Procos once brought a Fargen (I think it might have been a Blackbird) over to my studio, and I thought it was a very impressive piece of gear with a definite vibe.

I'm sure the CT is great, too, based on what I've heard on clips, but the Fargen is nothing to sneeze at.

Tag has recorded some very nice Bruno clips you might want to listen to.

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Here's the only constructive comparison I can offer you that might help.

My Uncle Spot Custom Super Reverb sounds much better than the builder's original '64 and '65 Super's, as well as a BF'd '72 Super Reverb I owned. It is an exceptional amp. The 6L6 Blackbird in my Fargen Dual Classic has been played side by side with the Uncle Spot many times, and is equally as good. Slightly different voicing - richer overall - and just as beautiful.

Hope that gives you something to visualize about the Blackbird....

8. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I keep saying this guys. The Gries is worth checking out. $1400 vs $1700 for the BB & I personally think it sounds better. Worth a look IMO.

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Never played the Blackbird, but my Bruno is a wonder of the world. Very touch-responsive, very rich, thick... it'll do whatever you want it to do.

10. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I am really liking my Blackbird. It has a beautiful sound and the reverb circuit is one of the best I've heard. It has alot of fender characteristics but seems to have it's own magic as well. Mine is the 40 watt 4x6V6 model with a switch to take 2 of the power tubes out of the circuit for about 20 watts. Very nice feature.
    I have played a CT90 for a short period of time but it was in an apartment and I couldn't even turn it up where it needed to be. ALso, at more than twice the wattage of my BB, it would be unfair for me to even try and compare the 2.
    All I know is that I really like the Fargen. I would pick the Blackbird and spend the extra cash on a new guitar to go with it.:dude

B.

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Just listened to the Blackbird clips. If that's the tone you really like, that's what you should get. The Cowtipper sounds, to me, alot different. Much thicker and fuller... the Blackbird seems to have a thinner, twangier sound, to my ears.

12. smilefan

smilefan Member

Speaking as one who has heard a Blackbird and a Cowtipper
    (my old 90 combo) side by side, I can say this, the Blackbird
    is more "Fendery". It has more of the touch/tone characteristics
    we relate to BF Fender amps. That said, I think the Cowtipper
    has superior tone and is a better base for pedals. The 'Tipper
    has its own sonic mojo. You are right. It is smoother and
    more refined. Its not as rock 'n roll as BF Fenders or the BB.
    Its better suited for blues/jazz/fusion/pop. Doesn't have enough
    spanky and pecussiveness for R 'n R, unless are after an ultra-smooth,
    rich, dimensional sound. Sometimes only a spriongy, spanky Fender
    clean will do. The CT takes pedals better than any clean amp
    I know. My old Cornish G-2 and CT90 was pure Dumble sing.

I'm with Tag in that the old Fender's are still as good or better at the "Fender" sound than any boutique. For $1700 you might as well
    own a collectible BF Fender. Never lose money. Currently I play
    a BF Showman head. I got the damn thing for $500 on EBAY!
    Does "Fender" as good as any amp out there, for dirt cheap.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've pretty much flipped over the Bruno CT 22 amp after hearing soundclips, but the deal was sealed after playing through a buddy of mine's CT 22 recently...

I don't care if there is a "better" sounding amp somewhere or a "better deal for the $$$" with another amp... the CT 22 is my ideal sounding amp and to me the most incredible amp I've ever heard. It is what I'll be saving up for... hopefully I'll have it this summer

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

3 hours with the CT 45 left me wanting more. I too just sold my BFSR; the CT strikes me as a very different sound and vibe. (Both excellent, BTW.) You need to hear these amps to know. Descriptions don't work. I'm very curious about the 35 too. But if you're looking for smaller, don't know if the CT 45 is much smaller. How much does that one weigh??

It's going to take more money than I have right now to scratch that particular itch ...

15. KLB

KLB Member

What speaker was in the CT22 you heard?
    Are you guys talking about a 1x12 or 2x12 combo?

16. KenSea

KenSea Member

The Tone King is one of the best Fender sounds I have ever heard. Any thoughts on how it compares with the other two?

17. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

If you like the Fender tone, why not save some $ and just find a silverface Deluxe reverb? These can be had for less than $1000 most of the time. If you decide to sell it chances are you'll make back what you paid and maybe more. As for maintenance, once it's been recapped, there's nothing else to do to it that the others wouldn't need done also. A lot I see have already been recapped. I just can't see spending $1500-$3000 on an amp if you can get the tone you want for $1000 or less. I have debated the Fargen as well, but I can't bring myself to spend that much on it.
    my .02

18. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have a hard time thinking that a Fender will have the touch sensitivity and responsiveness of a Bruno or Fargen...

19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Why would that be? These amps are probably heavily influenced by Fender designs. I responded that if he likes the tone of the Fender, which is what he stated, sticking with a vintage Fender (which will keep it's value as a bonus) would be a logical way to go. And cheaper. Not knocking any other amp, as I have not played either one he mentioned.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations!!:BEER

FULL REPORT PLEASE!! There are guys who need to know!
    ( Like me! :) )

I feel my bank account getting even thinner already. :(