• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

BlackCat 30R, /13 FTR37 or ERT33???

vchizzle

Ok, I've been doing some research on these amps a bit. I've had mostly EL34 based amps for quite awhile now, more high gain styled. I've been wanting to grab a new amp with a bit of a different flavor.

Some key things I typically like:
-good, strong, tighter bottom end
-ususally I like darker voiced amps particularily lower mids...I don't usually like higher mid voiced amps
-smoother highs, not super bright, brilliant - especially on OD tones
-30ish or so watts, a half power switch is a BIG plus(even if it doesn't cut 1/2)
-reverb on the clean side would be nice but I like my gain tones more dry
-some half way decent headroom

I play humbucker guitars mostly, sometimes coil tapped tones. Something that will take pedals well and/or boost well in case I want to get up into the higher gain territory. My favorite amp is my Hot cat 30. I'll probably have to move an amp or 2, so I want to have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get myself into. /13 amps, I don't know of any dealers near me really, though I will drive a couple three hours to check amps out given the opportunity.

I've played the 30R several years ago, I remember liking it alot, but the details are so fuzzy now, I barely remember it.

I've listened to some FTR clips, which I've liked, ERT clips seem nonexsistent - not much click channel talk on these either. What do you guys suggest for me?

FFTT

Well the ERT 33 was discontinued for some reason.

Consider the Reeves Custom 30 or Custom Lead Hi Gain Model

I'd want to try the Bad Cat Lynx too.

Also on the must hear list would be the Category 5 Andrew

I like the FTR 37 for what it does, but not sure if you wouldn't like the
LDW 17/39 better.

Just not sure you're going to be happy with the OD tones coming from
many 6L6 or 6V6 amps.

You may also want to consider Star amps and while you're tone questing,
the Komet Concord

vchizzle

I didn't like the Lynx I tried at all really. I'm after something different from my typical EL34 power sections. I know the ERT is discontinued. I don't really want another HIGH gain amp. I loved the RCA blackplate in my THD Univibe, clean and cranked wide open...different style, but I do like the 6V6. I may very well like LDW better, but again, I'd like something of a different feather, not something that will allow me into the same territories I've been in.

hathisisfunnyha

Silver Supporting Member
Have you thought about an /13 LDW? I have one and its got great useable gain but no reverb. I'm sure if you asked fred he would add it for you and then you would get the best of both worlds

FFTT

If you're going for something tonally different, then I'd consider the
Reeves Custom 30 for Hiwatt/JTM45 tones or go all out for the CP504
to get those classic old Skool Hiwatt tones.

I like the sounds Rusty Anderson gets from his FTR 37, but that's my only reference.

For an improved Fender circuit build, all hand wired, with a 10 year warranty, check out VVT Amps. Also VERY reasonable.

If you find a 65 Amps dealer, it might be cool to try out their new
Memphis model

My personal favorite is still my Hot Cat 100R because of the clean headroom, and any tone from dark and mean to bright as you want it, half power, FX loop, Reverb and the way your choice of speaker enclosures makes such a tremendous difference in your tone.

I wish Bad Cat offered a Hot Cat 50R just to get the extra headroom over the 30R

If reverb is really important to you, it may be better to consider a dedicated 3 knob external unit like the Jule Amps Santa Cruz Reverb
or the Vintone Outboard.

vchizzle

Reverb isn't a HUGE deal. If the amps doesn't have reverb, I'd kinda prefer it to a 2 channel with inputs for each channel, like most of the amps I'm talking about.

I'm not sure on that Reeves amp. Every KT66 amp I've played has been REALLY bright, and not my style. I wouldn't buy that without playing it first.

jazzguitar

Silver Supporting Member
-ususally I like darker voiced amps particularily lower mids...I don't usually like higher mid voiced amps
-30ish or so watts, a half power switch is a BIG plus(even if it doesn't cut 1/2)
You just described my Black Cat 30R. Check one out, I'm willing to be that you'd love it.

vchizzle

PM and email sent. Richards
replied.

anyone else with thoughts, suggestions?

Does the FTR 37 have the darkest Divided by 13 tone?

Which of these amps has the best punch? most usable bass on the clean side. Where on the volume knob does breakup typically start? I could pretty easily go with the Black Cat since I've heard it and like it. But it been a long time since hearing it. D13 was virtually unknown at that point. I'm curious if I'll be missing out if I don't try whichever of them might be best for me.

DirtyChains

I am going to go out on a limb here and say a Mesa Mark IV. You can run it with all 6L6 tubes, 2 6L6 and 2 EL34, and the often unknown 4 6V6 tubes. 85 watts is a bit much but it drops to around 15 in SC mode and with 4 6V6s the power would be much less than with 4 6L6s-in SC mode less than 15 watts I would think too. It offers you tons of tube options, power options, channels, reverb with a decent clean, is on the darker side, and to me sounds like it would be a great amp for you. And if you get that urge for the EL-34s you can run them in the middle at 15 watts. All you need in one very small package!

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I'd say you also described the FTR-37. I always liked the Black Cats...but when A/B next to and FTR...I prefered the FTR. Guitar/Cable/FTR....is just pure sweetness.
If you do decide to get the BC...I'd also try running it through and FTR cabinet, that made a huge difference in it's sound.

D13's are very bright amps ... and you can't dial it out. it's a love/thing i have with them.

the ERT33 is the most under-rated D13. I love the FTR, but the ERT just has something going for it (but it's brighter!).

vchizzle

I'd say you also described the FTR-37. I always liked the Black Cats...but when A/B next to and FTR...I prefered the FTR. Guitar/Cable/FTR....is just pure sweetness.
If you do decide to get the BC...I'd also try running it through and FTR cabinet, that made a huge difference in it's sound.
If you can, compare the 2 from when you A/B'd them? What are the big differences? What made you like the FTR over the Black Cat? which has more punch? brighter? anything you can remember would be cool.

D13's are very bright amps ... and you can't dial it out. it's a love/thing i have with them.

the ERT33 is the most under-rated D13. I love the FTR, but the ERT just has something going for it (but it's brighter!).
For a bit of reference, I read here somewhere that the ERT is kinda Super Reverb-like clean tones, that's what initially got my attention. I used to have a '72ish SR that had been blackfaced and I loved that amp. I liked the AC30TB
some years back when I tried one out. Marshall's generally sound bright to me in almost a harsh way. Yet, my Hot cat 30 is typically thought of as bright, but I love that amp. It's weird, some amps that are said to be bright, I like. Some not so much. I like the Bad cat and Matchless sounds generally. The talk of flub on the bottom end scares me a little bit with them.

I don't know, maybe I should get off TGP to try and stop the GAS :D I like the amps I have, just interested in trying something new and a bit out of the norm for me.

vchizzle

bump, if anyone can answer any of the above questions(in the post above^), that would help.

blueline

I am a huge fan of the /13s, I have an LDW and a RSA 31 modded 33 - my favorite amp of all time, the best clean tone ever!!! Anyway, I am also a Bad Cat fan. The Bad Cats are a darker sounding amp for the most part, but a lot of that has to do with the speaker choice. I hated my LDW at first with brand new greenbacks, but when I changed the speakers out to broken in g12H30 and a V30, I loved it. The /13s have a signature high tone that puts them in front of the mix, I think this is what some people refer to as bright, but it is ultimately a spike in freq more than an overall brightness. Another amp to look into is the Bad Cat Tone Cat with a Hot Cat mod. This might be my next amp. I just haven't played it, but I will find one.

lannyhall

I've played the 30R several years ago, I remember liking it alot, but the details are so fuzzy now, I barely remember it.
As someone else pointed out, you are describing the Black Cat 30R. I bought a 2x12 combo version not too long after they came out, but grew tired of the weight issue, and sold the amp. After missing it for too long, I bought a Black Cat 30R head and BadCat 2x12 cab. That makes moving it around much easier. I also have a separate 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion Blues that I like from time to time for a different flavor.

vchizzle

Well, the tone cat is basically the clean channel of the black cat combined with the dirty channel of the hot cat. Since I have a Hot cat 30 already, I'm looking for a different tone. The Black cat 30R appeals to me and the more I research Divided by 13, I think the FTR 37 would be way I'd probably want to go. Which sucks cause I want to by used(just the head) and that one doesn't pop up used much.

Trending Topics