"Blackface" and "Plexi" in one amp head?

ericb

Silver Supporting Member
You need a split-personality 2x12 cab.

1/2 of the cab is an open-back Jensen.
1/2 of the cab is a closed-back Celestion.
Separate inputs, of course, to run with two separate amps.
Ugh, not at all. Tell that to those of us who use Celestions or Scumbacks with our Brown, or Bf Fenders, and those of us who use Scumbacks, Jbls, Ev's , PV's, Cannabis Rex's, etc with our Marshalls open -back. I hope you're kidding, but there are so many 'absolutes' on this forum that just aren't close to true.

Eric

davidespinosa

Supporting Member
Tell that to those of us who use Celestions or Scumbacks with our Brown, or Bf Fenders, and those of us who use Scumbacks, Jbls, Ev's , PV's, Cannabis Rex's, etc with our Marshalls open -back.
It’s a good point. It depends how much of a purist you are, and what “Fender” and “Marshall” mean to you.

TheSchwartz

Your choice of cab/speakers is arguably more important than the amp itself. Even with my Mesa Rectoverb 50, I can get all sorts of different Fender and Marshall flavors depending on the speaker I’m using.

But as far as amps are concerned, I’d be tempted to just get a Fender-style amp for cleans, and rely on pedals for Marshall tones. The Port City Pearl would be worth looking into for this purpose. It’s common to find the head version used for under $2000.

MikeyG

Supporting Member
Have you guys who haven't found that amp, tried any Landry amp? Every single thing I've ever read about them describes the Landry's as meeting these characteristics and all the Bill Landry clips seem to sound like BF Fender and Marshall all in 1 amp also. . So do the PWE Amp clips I've heard. So do the PT-100 clips. The Morris Perplex'd seem to be great at it. I have a shitload of amps and none really meet the OP's requirements, but all of those seem to

Eric
all good recommendations... even the Redplate Magica is around 2k used (to my chagrin)

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Fargen Dual British Classic. Blackbird on one channel, Olde 800 Mk II on the other with the three way decade switch. Game. Set. Match.

Super amp and hits the thread title spot on.

TheOtherEric

Supporting Member
Rivera clean channels have a push/pull function on the midrange knob. When pushed in, the channel is more tweed-like and the mids are not scooped.
Sure, there’s lots of switches and knobs to supposedly make the Rivera more Marshall-like, and believe me I tried them all, watched all the videos, researched it all. It just doesn’t do it. The drive channel is great, but like another poster said, it’s got its own unique sound, definitely not Marshall.

My solution is to just run two Ceriatones. An OTS, with the best cleans I’ve ever heard, and their Yeti hot-rodded Marshall, which does everything from Plexi to metal. Love this damn pair.

rjsc5

My experience with a Rivera M60 is two totally different cabs with totally different speakers.

2x12 open for Fender and 4x12 closed for the Marshall side

G34RSLU7

Your choice of cab/speakers is arguably more important than the amp itself. Even with my Mesa Rectoverb 50, I can get all sorts of different Fender and Marshall flavors depending on the speaker I’m using.

But as far as amps are concerned, I’d be tempted to just get a Fender-style amp for cleans, and rely on pedals for Marshall tones. The Port City Pearl would be worth looking into for this purpose. It’s common to find the head version used for under $2000.
i've been considering this, a good clean amp with a victory V4 pedal

Todd1357

Just to add my experience that, yes, a blackface fender sounds great through closed back cabs with celestions speakers. Still sounds like a fender to me, in fact I prefer my showman through closed back with celestions to my open back twin with Jensen's.

Yes there will be a compromise, but to my ears fender + celestions is a positive, not a compromise. Everyone's opinion is valid here, just my two cents!

BenTobith

Symmetrically Hard Clipped
Gold Supporting Member
This thread is really making me wish I had a Friedman Runt... But with my CT, I can put a little grit in the clean tone and then use an OD like the Herculean to get a Marshall-like tone.

fatbagg

Silver Supporting Member
Friedman SS is literally that, hot rodded Plexi channel and Fenderized clean. Also Bogner GF/GFSL does those well.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Silver Supporting Member
If you can spend a little more, the Bogner Goldfinger is also a good alternative. One of the sweetest clean platforms I have heard, and a nice Marshall gain channel. The GF Superlead gets a lot of raves for the added '77 mode, but I think any of them would deliver what you want.

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
My problem with the OP's question is that truly Marshall tone seems to need to include the clank from EL34s and the kerrang from Celestion speakers. Whereas BF Fender benefits from the more balanced overdrive of a 6L6 or a 6550 and a mid-reduced more polite speaker. The only way I've seen this work is if the speaker and power amp are fairly neutral and then you're modeling the sound of the two amps in the preamp. A used Synergy system with BF and Soldano modules would be perfect, or the older Randall version.

If you just want A clean, not a BF clean, then you could actually do great with just a JCM800 type head. Back off the guitar volume or plug into the low input for clean and crank it for gain!