blackface bandmaster replacement output transformer

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by danjcarroll, Jan 17, 2008.

1. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Hey everyone

Looking to do the typical upgrade to my 66' blackface bandmaster (which sounds great at the moment may i add) by changing to a slightly larger OT for extended bottom end response etc.

I've been checking out a few replacements and have narrowed it down to the
    Allen amps/Heyboer TO40MT @ $60 http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers

or the
    Mercury Magnetics Super Reverb replacementAxiomOTFBF60-OS60 watt -- 2 x 6L6 -- 4, 8 & 16 ohm taps -- FatStack195.00

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/catalog/MM_fender3.htm#Super_

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these and which would be recommended??.. (also any other brands welcome)

The main reason I ask is because of the 140 dollar price difference. I dont mind paying the extra dollars if i really am getting a superior product... OPINIONS PLEASE!

Thanks very much

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The Allen is better souning than the MM in my opinion.
    Can't quite understand why mm is so much money.I have not been impressed with the sound quality.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Allens are good, so are Mercury Magnetics. I've never done a side by side comparison.

MMs are more expensive because they're made in California where everything is more expensive (especially compared to the midwest where Heyboers are made) due to the cost of living and general business expenses are higher.

4. mageerc

mageerc Member

I have NOT compared the 2 transformers you mentioned, but I replaced the OT in my '65 Bandmaster with Allen's TO40MT and it sounds really good. Many will argue that the Bandmaster's OEM OT lends to the tone with the saturated OT sound... my finding were that the TO40MT made the bottom much tighter and the overall volume of the amp step up a notch. My Bandmaster just seems to have more "balls" than it had with the original OT. The Allen OT was the best $60 I've spent on this amp...

5. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Use the Allen it is fine and will do the job you are asking of it.

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

I don't think the cost of living can account for a 3 fold increase though. They charge it because they can. They are a more aggressive marketer than Heyboer. And there are always those that think something that costs more must be a superior product. I've done some A/B testing with both Fender and Marshall replacements; both brands are great upgrades to stock OTs.

7. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone... anyone for using an original Twin/Showman OT if i can locate one second hand, or will the Allen do just as good of a job?? Thanks

8. mageerc

mageerc Member

The Allen will be fine with the added benefit of fitting in the existing mounting holes in the chassis... no need to drill that vintage chassis!

9. Swarty

Swarty Member

A Twin/Dual Showman would be a good choice if you want an 8ohm load. The chassis may already have the additional holes.

10. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

I have that OT in my Allen OF and it sounds huge.. TONS of bass on tap. I usually turn the bass down to 2 or less on that amp (the mids and highs are plentiful too). I honestly don't know how the MM OT could be any better thant he Heybor/Allen? Throw that extra $140 at some nicer speakers.. they will make more of a difference than the differece between the Heybor & MM's.