blackface champ project

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lancerontrack, Oct 1, 2008.

1. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

this is whats going thru my crazy little mind right now. i have this idea of building a new housing for my champ using either heavy birdseye maple or bubina. i want to make the new speaker cut out so that it will hold a 12". i plan on making the housing taller and if needed wider. does anyone have any dimensions from there champs that came stock with a 12". what ohms should i use? i kinda what the wood alittle beefy too so i was thinking 5/8" or something. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

2. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

almost 50 views and no suggestions????

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have thought of doing something similar... but putting my champ in a head cab. I like to mix and match speakers and have a half dozen speaker cabinets. For me, it just wasn't worth spending nearly the price of my amp again (around 200) just for a different cabinet (around 150 - 190) since the stock cabinet is relatively small. Your criteria is obviously different. Like you, I suspect, I am not thrilled with using the 8" speaker, but love the amp itself.

The only champ that I know of with a 12 is the super champ from the 80's.

The early champ cabs are made of pine... they switched to particle board in the mid 70's.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a 12 inch speaker that runs at 4 ohm.

Not sure that any of this will help you, but you now have a reply ;)

4. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

not sure how much this could be trusted but i remember someone saying that running an 8ohm speaker would not hurt it. have seen the 80's super champs on ebay and stuff. i know the 12" speaker is offset to the side, i just didnt know if the cab size was different, and if so what are the dimensions?

5. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Higher ohms won't hurt the amp.

Another option would be to set it up for 2x10 (or 2x12) and you could get that 4 ohm load by wiring two 8 ohm drivers. Just get some highly efficient, low wattage drivers. It would probably rock.

6. smolder

I have seen the stock cabinet with a replacement baffle and a 10" speaker... and yes, you do have to move the speaker towards to fender logo in order to fit the speaker around the transformers and tubes. I am almost certain that if you want a 12, you will need a larger cabinet.

7. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

sounds like some good info. im gonna meet up with my builder soon, i was just trying to some what have my stuff together before talkin with him. guess im trying to make it look something like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. smolder

as opposed to say... this?

[​IMG]

9. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

im just on that wood fetish thing i guess. a fine birdseye maple with a couple of coats of tung oil or a high gloss shined up bubinga wood. man i just want something different. here is what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

10. smolder

lancerontrack... I get the wood fetish... but you gotta find an early eighties beater... don't be messin with that pretty blackface

11. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

ok maybe to hold back my urge to go to the extreme, will a 8" tone tubby fit in my amp without hitting the tubes or anything else? i have a weber in there and just not very happy with it

12. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt Member

+1 please don't do that to that great little amp. I could see if it wasn't in any where near as good of condition as it's in...

13. bmcmusic

bmcmusic Member

If you were to do a wood cab. By all means keep the original cab and speaker so you can return it to original should you ever sell it. I believe a Champ chassis is 15 1/4 wide"? So depending on the wood used leave enough space to get the chassis back in.

I would keep the width and make the cabinet taller and deeper to hold a 12" speaker. You can get a 4 ohm 12" speaker from Weber. Just specify when you order. Yes the wood fetish is nice but make sure you can go back to the original.

Bob

14. tipetu

tipetu Member

something like my 2 x 12 cab with head?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

Hi, Mr. Lancer. Does that amp look familiar to me?!?!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=544023

If the baffle is screwed in place, it is pretty easy (and non-invasive) to build a new baffle and get a 10" speaker in there, although it needs to be slid over to the preamp side of the amp so it won't hit the trannies/rectifier/power tube. The amp actually balances a little better with the speaker off center, although it doesn't matter much with that light, compact package.

There is no way a 12" would fit in there, but the 10" 4 ohm Jensen I put in there made that amp much more useful for me. I wouldn't put an 8 ohm speaker in a Champ. The raging 5 watt output is small enough!

I just picked up a silver face Champ on eBay. I'm going to build a new cab for it with two vertically aligned 8 ohm 10's in there. I'm probably going to use bubinga, make it a living room amp!