Blackface Champ value

h20man

Looking for your opinions on value of a 65 Blackface Champ with an upgraded speaker and power cord. What would you expect to pay and or ask? I've been looking at a few recently. Thanks

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
A broad range for the actual sales price for a BF Champ (not a VibroChamp) would be $400 to $600, depending on your part of the country and the condition of the amp. People could ask for more (or less, I guess) depending on the region of the country, condition of the amp, how close to bone stock it is, etc.

For SF Champs, adjust that range down to $300 to $500.
For BF VibroChamps, I think $500 to $700 is a common range.
For SF Vibro Champs, $400 to $600.

For reference, I bought a clean 66 BFVC on CL in early 2013 for $550. It had a replacement Fender foot switch, aftermarket baffle, and a Weber CVC8 speaker. The previous owner had the power cord converted to a three prong cord, and included the original speaker and power cord with the sale. It sounded great, which was ultimately what mattered the most. In some parts of the country I likely overpaid for it, but in the SF Bay Area I think I paid a fair price.

Last edited:

h20man

Thanks. There is a '65 blackface champ maybe able to get for $500 that has a replacement speaker installed but includes original and a 3 prong cord. Just trying to decide.

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. There is a '65 blackface champ maybe able to get for $500 that has a replacement speaker installed but includes original and a 3 prong cord. Just trying to decide.
That could be a fair price for that amp. Do you have the chance to play it before you buy it? It's almost 50 years old, so it could need a cap job, or it could sound pristine. Also, do you know what tubes it comes with?

h20man

I can't play the amp, it would have to be shipped. I did contact the owner about the tubes etc... I've had a couple of silverface Champs that I liked and wish I never sold but I've always wanted a Blackface.

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I guess the one thing I'd be aware of and potentially concerned about would be the e caps. If they're still the original e caps, it could -- and likely would -- need a cap job. That doesn't make it a bad deal, but it is something to consider.

Did he send you any pics of the interior of the chassis? It would also be nice to know if it still had the original PT and OT, or if they weren't original, what they had been replaced with.

wyatt

After shipping, it's less of a good deal.

Not a horrible price, but also not a steal.

Looking around, people are getting stock BF Champs for way more AND way less than $500.

icr

Depends on the condition. If unmolested and untampered then high dollars . If it has replaced tubes, caps, speaker, pots, tolex, grillcloth, etc, then it is not worth more than the parts to make a nice clone.

Trending Topics