Blackface Fender Bassman boost/od pedal?

kevinhifi

yeah. i was thinking of SHO... i was originally discouraged by it since i used one at one time with my Marshall SLP, and all it did was add more volume (since i was using such a high wattage amp as a pedal platform and not "dirty").... but i assume it will jack up an already jacked preamp....

Yes, once you get that Bassman up to 7, depending on tubes and how it's biased of course, the volume pretty much stops going up as you push it with boosts. I liked dialing mine up to around 5.5 or 6 so the boost added a nice subtle volume boost while pushing it into more saturation.

Kostas

The KTR sounds great through my Fender heads but you can't find it easy. I suggest the Xotic RC, great pedal with a versatile EQ. I use the BB with the gain on minimum to boost but the RC is more appropriate for the job. The various Barber LTD's are another choice, you can find them in reasonable prices second hand .

Last edited:

LPSlinger

Empress or Diamond Compressor is a good shout for sparkle. I have the Empress and love it because it's so tweakable. I don't like really squashed compression so the ability to set it very subtle and use the mix knob to mix my compressed signal with the uncompressed signal is killer. I never used a compressor before I got the Empress but it made me a convert.

I also really like the Lovepedal COT50 set low with my '64 Bassman. tga-3 knows what he's talking about. The Analogman NKT Sunface with your guitar's volume knob rolled back a touch is also a winner.

Sarno Earth Drive is very sparkly; sounds like your amp with the ability to add some warm sparkle/treble without getting harsh or cutting the frequencies you want.

Thats my experience anyway...

DJ_61

Gold Supporting Member
Well the Vemuram Jan Ray may be your best option tonewise not moneywise though

Uncl3 J

Don't go with a compressor.

That will squash your growl and dynamic...it would add volume though but not the grit you want, unless its a cheap comp. Good comps are transparent and just compress.

Try either:

TC Electronic SparkBoost (super transparent, adds sparkle and growl if you want, or will just push the amp harder...I use mine to add a bit of top boost and push the amp harder)

Paul C's Timmy....it's a Timmy. It can be used as a boost, OD, whatever you want...it's very versatile low gain pedal. Great EQ as well.

Xotic RC Booster, kinda bland but it does the snarl, growl, and tone shaping like the spark boost well. I still prefer the new spark boost

Last edited:
You really should lend an ear to those pedals : Lovepedal Super 6 and Wampler 65.
The White Light Overdrive by EQD sounds good for that use as well.
For a slight transparent grit with the possibility to mix your dry/wet signal, there's also the T-Rex Möller (with an independent boot.).
Finally, in the TS ballpark, I may suggest the JHS Morning glory.
Hope that helps.

alphaking

Sabbadius Mr. White Hot Tube Simulator/Clean Boost will do exactly what you described. After I got mine I wouldn't play without it on.

I recently switched to the Nocturne Atomic Brain for the same thing and currently use with my 59 Bassman 4x10 clone. The difference with the Mr. White is the ability to dial in the "Crank Up" (natural tube overdrive sound) with a turn of the knob, but still have it at bedroom volumes if needed. Check out youtube demos for either one to see which one is closer to what you're looking for.

andtrea

Bump!
Mine is a 1973 Bassman 100.
I love its clean but the od/dist that I used for years* with the 59ltd sound too midrangey.
Tweaking on the head eq I can shape the sound with even dramatical results (especially the bass knob) but actually with a good clean my distorted tone has always low definition.

*Rat, Hot Cake. No problem wuth Ep Booster and Russian Big Muff

Fairfield barbershop... Loved it with my twin RI and even more with a early silverface (blackface circuit) bassman 50 owned by a friend of mine.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I like Supro-ish pedals for sparkle without sounding spikey.

The JHS Superbolt is quite good and I roll the Gain way down.

I have a 2013 Lumpy’s Jelly Roll that’s amazing too but the sound from pedal to pedal is inconsistent.

-bEn r.

SpaceandFuzz

Silver Supporting Member
Blues Breaker type pedal could work well. Snowden’s Black Box 2 is a good one.

Or maybe try a Blues Driver?

Kevy_Metal

DOD Gunslinger. I've been using it with the gain just past noon into a Bassbreaker amp and I get plenty of sparkle and grit.

sliberty

If you really mean sparkle, then you need something that will accent the highs nicely.

My favorite boost for that is the AMZ MOSFET Booster, which you can build yourself if you have the skills. It’s a great simple circuit, available on the web, which accents those sweet highs in just the right way. If you cannot build it yourself, consider and RC Booster or the cheaper clone from Donner caller the Boost Killer. With separate bass and treble you can dial in very nice tones.

If you want some overdrive too, then a Timmy or a BB Preamp might fit the bill for you. Again, they have separate bass and treble controls. The importance of that is so that you don’t lose bass when you add treble. I also love the KOT or other Blues Breaker clones like the Blues Crab. They just sound great, and are fairly neutral allowing the Bassman to still sound like a Bassman.

andtrea

It's not only a "sparkle" issue.
In these years I've built my tone around the Bassman '59 LTD and I'm afraid that the Jensen P10R respond in a very different way (especially on mid-highs) from every 12 speaker that I'm trying now with the SF head.

The clean sound is beautiful, rich and with the right sparkle if I want.
But the pedals that I used to love (Rat and Hot Cake) now sound too middy and compressed, I'm looking for a more balanced distortion pedal.
What about an OCD? Comparing it directly with a RAT (7:44 in the video) could be an affordable, and easy to find, solution?

Top Bottom