Blackface Fender Bassman boost/od pedal?

TheGuildedAge

recently got a 66 bassman head and matching 2x12 cab and am in love with the "cranked" drive it has. i'm running a les paul standard (stock p-ups) and a sg classic w/ p90s. its attenuated as well to add that beautiful grit it gets around 6 or 7 on the volume.

now.... i'm looking for a pedal to make it "sparkle" a bit more. just add another level if you will... i've tried the following w/ the amp and heres some outcomes...(mind you the amp is kinda hot to begin w/).....

am beano boost - too much mud
bearfoot honey bee - too dirty
eqd speaker cranker - sounds the best but not enough "clarity"
tubescreamer - tone suck

any suggestions on a pedal that would just make it "pop" more? a bit brighter and bit growlier... ???

I’d try a bearfoot pale green or evergreen compressor. Maybe a sea blue eq too

I have the same amp and cab.
What speakers are in your cab?
What tubes are in your amp?
How are your amp settings adjusted?
What guitar cable are you using?

My cab had the original vintage Jensens. I wasn’t a fan of them.
I put in Weber 12A125S. I think they sound like a Jensen but fresher, better high end and crunchier sounding.

Try electro harmonix 12ax7 tubes. They are brighter with better clarity than the JJs I originally had in it. The EH tubes sound very similar to the tung-sol 12ax7 tubes I tried. The tung-sol sounded a hair better but half the tung sol tubes I’ve bought give a bad hum.

Plug into the normal channel. Flip on the bright switch. Turn down the treble to compensate for all the highs of the bright switch adds.

Adjust the knobs and deep switch on the bass channel. Even though you aren’t plugged into it, it affects the tone. Turn all the knobs up.

Is your cable cutting high end?
I use a Lava ELC. But I also have a Planet Waves American stage cable that sounds the same.

andtrea

I have the same amp and cab.
What speakers are in your cab?
What tubes are in your amp?
How are your amp settings adjusted?
What guitar cable are you using?

My cab had the original vintage Jensens. I wasn’t a fan of them.
I put in Weber 12A125S. I think they sound like a Jensen but fresher, better high end and crunchier sounding.

Try electro harmonix 12ax7 tubes. They are brighter with better clarity than the JJs I originally had in it. The EH tubes sound very similar to the tung-sol 12ax7 tubes I tried. The tung-sol sounded a hair better but half the tung sol tubes I’ve bought give a bad hum.

Plug into the normal channel. Flip on the bright switch. Turn down the treble to compensate for all the highs of the bright switch adds.

Adjust the knobs and deep switch on the bass channel. Even though you aren’t plugged into it, it affects the tone. Turn all the knobs up.

Is your cable cutting high end?
I use a Lava ELC. But I also have a Planet Waves American stage cable that sounds the same.

Interesting, I'll try as soon as i Can (rehearsal room is not nearby).
Which 4x12 would you use with a Bassman 100 head?

Voodoo Soul Blues

Silver Supporting Member
recently got a 66 bassman head and matching 2x12 cab and am in love with the "cranked" drive it has. i'm running a les paul standard (stock p-ups) and a sg classic w/ p90s. its attenuated as well to add that beautiful grit it gets around 6 or 7 on the volume.

now.... i'm looking for a pedal to make it "sparkle" a bit more. just add another level if you will... i've tried the following w/ the amp and heres some outcomes...(mind you the amp is kinda hot to begin w/).....

am beano boost - too much mud
bearfoot honey bee - too dirty
eqd speaker cranker - sounds the best but not enough "clarity"
tubescreamer - tone suck

any suggestions on a pedal that would just make it "pop" more? a bit brighter and bit growlier... ???
I have a similar setup and the Zvex channel 2 or SHO will do what you want.
They are the same pedal except the channel 2 has a volume and a gain control, the SHO only has volume. I like the channel 2 better because it has a smaller footprint and is a little easier to dial in since it has a gain control.
It will give you more clarity and sparkle without being harsh, really nice tone, definitely makes things pop.
I have found I like it best after dirt.
I am currently using a Barber Gain Changer into the Channel 2.
You have to dime the volume control on the channel 2 (to get the sparkly sho tone).
Zvex told me this and they were right on.
Turn the volume all the way up with the gain turned off and then slowly turn up the gain to dial in the amount of grit/volume you want.
I don’t normally like compressor pedals but I have heard so many good things about the pale green compressor I think I will try one.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
+1 per an optical compressor last in your signal chain, a Bearfoot Pale Green adds subtle compression and little to no noise - run at higher voltage

The Empress and Diamond are also excellent - experiment with voltage.

Dirt ideas...

Joe Gore Cult (bumped a Fairfield Barbershop)
EQD Arrows (cuts bass)
DOD Looking Glass (great EQ - dial it in how you want; reasonably transparent)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom