Blackface Fender Deluxe Amp vs Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jjguitar, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

So I scored a 1964 Blackface Deluxe Amp on eBay a few days ago, it should be here by the end of the week and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the deluxe amp (non reverb model) versus the deluxe reverb from the '65 to early silverfaces. Iv heard that the Deluxe amp has a little more headroom? Does not having reverb make a difference to the overall tone of the amp or are they different circuits?
    Thanks in advance

2. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I love the non reverb fenders but, I haven't had a chance to play many. They're rare around here. They do stay cleaner longer and have more headroom than the reverb models and to me, they sound better. I like reverb but, I'd rather have a Fender non reverb amp with a reverb pedal than a reverb amp. Congrats, those are great sounding amps.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I had one in high school. It was louder than a row of DLR's.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They're set up to stay clean almost all the way up on the volume dial. Great pedal platforms, cool small bass amp etc.

5. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

The two definitely sound different. Having reverb in the circuit is a pretty big tonal difference.

I owned both. I had a near-mint non-reverb for maybe 4-5 months. Sold it for $1k maybe 5 years ago. Non-reverb blackface tone is ok to me - not great.

I still own the Reverb. Hopefully I'll never sell it.

6. fetchzee

fetchzee Member

I use a '64 Deluxe NR on a fairly regular basis - original speaker was long gone, and I went with an Eminence Legend 1258.

In my experience, the NR's lack of the reverb gain stage keeps it cleaner longer up the dial, which means more headroom in the "sweet spot" (around 4 on the volume knob). This can change very quickly if you jumper the channels, which will hit the power tubes harder.

I tend to set my amps on the edge of breakup as a pedal platform, and I prefer the NR setup.

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I currently have both. The BFD is a bit louder, thicker. I love it. I like the BFDR too though.

8. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

Thanks for the input guys, I'm really happy to hear that the non reverb model has more headroom las that's what I was after (being a pedal player and needing a decent amount of clean headroom.