Blackface Fender Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by msrecprod, Jan 22, 2008.

1. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

Is the preamp and poweramp circuit in the Super Reverb the same as the Bassman or Vibrolux of the same year? I've always loved SR's, but I've wondered if I got a blackface Bassman head if I would for the mpst part be getting the same tone out of the amps pre and power section. I know speakers and cabs are another story.....

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

The Super Reverb and Vibrolux Reverbs are VERY close in the circuits. I believe only the mid tone cap and Cathode resistors on the PI are the differences between those two, as far as circuitry is concerned.

The Bassman is a completly different animal. expecially the AB165 "blackface" one. The brownface bassman is closer to the super, but still has plenty of circuit differences.

3. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

4. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

the power supply voltages are higher in the Super from what I have seen in the schematics on schematicheaven

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thats because of the Tranformer differences. Theres lots of differences all around regarding the trannys on all 3 amps.

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

In general, most of the Blackface scematics are the same. Most of the differences are the transformers, (voltages, etc).

Jack

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The major difference between the BF vibrolux and the super are the transformers and the speaker compliment. They are both ab763 circuits. The bassman is similar but different.