• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Blackface-ish low-gain breakup OD pedal for always-on base tone?

sleejay80

I know some popular/recent ones are:
-PaulC Timmy
-Barber LTD
-Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD
-Boss Blues Driver
-Wampler Blackface
-SansAmp Blonde

Any other recommendations?

delay dude

The barber ltd is awesome!

Or try the Vox v810 overdrive. It´s a ts-based pedal. It was my always on pedal for a long time.

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
Supposing that you're looking for blackface-type overdrives pedals and not any overdrive to push a blackface amp, I used to own a Mad Professor Sweet Honey overdrive (the original handwired version) and it was excellent for that application.
Other ones that are supposed to do the blackface thing (but I haven't tried) are Lovepedal Super 6 and Crazy Tube Circuits blackface Stardust.

chervokas

Instead of an always-on pedal for blackface-ish clean with hair, how about a blackface amp you can crank loud enough, like a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb? Even the reissues are decent, if a little bright... and if the pedal is going to be always-on anyway you might as well just avoid a pedal altogether.

zztomato

If you are using a blackface Fender type amp, as I do (64 Deluxe Reverb), then might want to consider a BJFE/Bearfoot Honey Bee. It provides a nice warm base tone for almost any playing style.

zztomato

Instead of an always-on pedal for blackface-ish clean with hair, how about a blackface amp you can crank loud enough, like a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb? Even the reissues are decent, if a little bright... and if the pedal is going to be always-on anyway you might as well just avoid a pedal altogether.
My Deluxe Reverb is way too loud at breakup levels for most stage situations. That's why I use the Honey Bee on all the time.

Madison

I do this with a Vibrolux. Have been using an LTD SR but am now using an Ecstasy with very good results.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The problem is finding the right BF amp for the application. We did a Christmas deal in church with a pretty quiet stage and even a Champ was too loud and percussive to be comfortable. I've been in bars where a Vibrolux struggled a little to keep up, and other situations where a Princeton was WAY too loud. My always on pedal is a Zendrive, set so when I pick lightly it's clean and when I hit the strings hard it's medium OD. I like it better than the TS style pedals because it doesn't compress as much-even when you're crunching, louder playing gets louder.

Trending Topics