Blackface normal channel: best clean to OD pedal compromise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeVB, Mar 28, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I wonder if the best compromise for a nice BF clean and classic rock Marshall overdrive might be a BF Reverb amp's normal channel with a good dirt pedal?

At least in a one channel amp.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Brien

Brien Member

I agree with you. There is something about the normal channel on BF amps that almost always sounds better to me than the Vibrato channel. More organic, more grind.

3. Brien

Brien Member

Blackface amps are the most pedal friendly amps I've ever used.

4. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

That's true ime as well except for dirt pedals. All but very few sound harsh into the rev/vib channel to me.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Use an A/B box to switch between the Vibrato channel and Normal channel. Put your dirt in the Normal channel. Works great!

blackba likes this.
  6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The normal channel does sound "thicker". Basically it's just a simple amp without all the vibrato reverb crap making it sound bad.
    But I have used most every BF style with OD pedals in the reverb channel and not had a problem using them. The only exception being low wattage amps that are already gnarly... maybe the Princeton and smaller.

7. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

It's really hard to tell a difference, once the vibrato channel is at or past 4 on the volume.

If you want to use dirt pedals with your amp volume 1-4, you're gonna want to use the normal channel.

Everyone says this is because of the bright cap. I did extensive A/Bing and there is definitely a difference at any volume, but it's so minimal at higher volumes, that it doesn't matter.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I'm talking about any BF Fender with a normal channel and rev/vib channel, not just the Deluxe Reverb, btw.

9. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I've got a 69 vibrolux reverb and I like the normal channel much better than the vibrato channel for pedals. It really sounds good with a Wampler Plexi Drive. It gets great semi cleans with the plexi drive too.