Blackface or Silverface Bassman in Allen Combo Cab with 15" Speaker?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by James Knox, Mar 16, 2008.

1. James Knox

James Knox Member

I just bought an Allen Sweetspot and currently play through a Blackface Princeton Reverb. Usually low to medium volume gigs - miked if playing bigger rooms.

I noticed that David Allen has a combo cab with a 15" speaker cut out that you can mount a Blackface/Silverface Bassman chassis in. I was thinking that my Bass Players Hoffman Bass would sound great and thumpy through a point-to-point tube Bassman amp, plus the cool factor of having matching amp looks.

Anybody have one of these? Or, anybody playing Bass through a BF/SF Bassman?

Thanks,

James

2. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I have a SF Bassman. Great amp for low-volume settings. You'll have to find a 4 ohm speaker if you want to build a 1x15" combo.

3. chrisrob

chrisrob Member

Silverface will be better. For the most part, if you want clean tones (which you probably do for bass) the later the better in bassman world. If you can track down a Bassman 100 or 135 it'd probably be better. More clean headroom for a the modern bass sound.

My 50 watt bassman doesn't sound good with a bass through my 2x12..but i've got guitar speakers in it.

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Too bad you don't live closer. We have a '69 SF (50 watt of course) that we run through a Music Man 1x15, loaded with a 4ohm JBL K series. I guess a lot of bass players have never experienced this. They are always blown away by how well THEY sound through it. Would be perfect for what you describe, all depending on you definition of a "medium sized" venue. But I am telling you, small clubs/or miced, this set up is the real deal.
    FWIW.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that makes sense, since that jbl is likely to be an efficient, hi-fi pa speaker that will extract lots of volume from what gets sent to it.

+1 to the bassman 100 or 135 idea, especially the 135, which is not popular for guitar due to a rep for a "brittle" sound from its ultra-linear transformers. what's bad for guitar is good for bass, as you can get a shockingly loud, deep and clear bass sound out of it. that translates to a bargain (if you can ever find one, that is).

6. cap'n rory

cap'n rory Member

I have an Allen Accomplice with a 15" Legend that I built myself. It's a great Telecaster and Stratocaster amp, and I just love it for that. It is a 6V6 amp and stays fairly clean with no raw dialed in, but I still haven't tried it with a bass. I really must do that to see if it has any good tones. Thanks for the tip James, BTW I'm sure my next Allen build will be a Sweet Spot just because I want to experience the esteemed Mr. Allen's take on the PR vibe.