blackface princeton reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Oct 4, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've played most of the larger blackface amps, but never this one...can any comment on the tone, esp vs maybe a deluxe reverb?

Thanks

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Set the volume on a nice one between 3 and 5, and prepare for one of the nicest clean sounds that (IMHO) you'll ever hear. BF Fender but phat. Low volume, of course.

The 4+ I've had seem to vary some when dimed or near-dimed. I had one that didn't break up much at all, while all the others got nasty above 7 or so.

3. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

It's probably my favorite Fender sound. Don't let the size and singe 10" fool you, they can be loud in very thick and full sounding. Sounds very close to a Deluxe Reverb, but I think it has a little more mids - I've A/B'd them through the same speaker and that's how mine sound anyway.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have a '65 that I've had recapped and have an Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker in. For me, this amp is the what I think of when I think about a Fender clean sound. Set the volume on 2-5, treble and bass at 5, and give it a touch of reverb and it is a magnificent sound. Guitars sound the way that they should through this amp.

There was a Guitar Player magazine article a few years ago that talked about which amps were used on classic guitar recordings and the Princeton Reverb came up quite often.

The downside of the amp is that it isn't loud enough to play with a loud drummer and the overdriven tone isn't my favorite, but for a home/recording/small gig amp I think it is hard to beat.

Bryan

5. 57special

57special Member

I've always been disappointed in their sound in comparison to a BFDR. Some people love them.

6. fatback

fatback Member

Princeton Reverbs are my favorite amps. They are terrific at low volume tones with lush trem and reverb all in a small portable package. I live in an apartment and play through one while at home almost every day. They love pedals and can sound huge when recorded properly. I bought a 65' and a 66' before the prices jumped over 1k. The only thing better than a Princeton Reverb...

...is two in stereo.:D

Silverface PR's are still available for cheap and get a bit louder than a blackface PR. Put a 12" speaker and upgrade the trannies and you'll have a great mini-Deluxe. You can always get a black faceplate off Ebay.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes, if not an actual Fender, one of the clones, looking for something small with a 10 inch speaker and reverb to run stereo w/ my TK Meteor.

Thanks for the comments guys.

8. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I agree what everyone has said about the cleans. These things can also get a really singing tone when pushed a bit. Here's a clip from a blues jam recorded with a minidisc recorder and a SM57. This isn't a stellar clip by any means, but it will give you an idea of what the PR sounds like in a live setting. The amp hangs pretty well with a loud drummer. I am using a 335 directly into a '66 Princeton Reverb. The volume was at around 6, treble 8, bass 3. The amp is stock with the exception of a recent cap job and the addition of a 3-prong plug. All the tubes are NOS RCA's.

http://www.flyingvblues.com/bf/princeton.mp3

FVB

9. rh

I've got a Fargen Soloway Classic that I popped a 10" Rajin Cajun in. VERY great PR clean tones, and louder. Plus virtually no breakup as you crank the amp up. And it loves pedals.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

How much do they go for? Reverb?

11. mkg

mkg Member

Another good alternative is the Allen Sweet Spot:

Allen amps

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Nice playing and tone....that drummer loves his crash cymbal!;) (He would drive me crazy, personally.:D )

I've gigged with a BFPR and it can work well in a small band. Add another guitar and keys or horns though, and you can get buried pretty quick. Speaker efficiency is key with a PR. On one of my PR's I've added a Celestion Blue, a DR OT, and done the Stokes and Paul C mods. That amp is considerably louder than stock.:cool:

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I agree with what you wrote. The PR loses in a volume war with another guitarist. I've tried to use mine at jam sessions and it just can't compete with higher wattage amps when in basically stock form.

Bryan

14. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Reverend Goblin for a cheap alternative. I've only played a Princeton once but I think this amp sounds very similar.

15. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

YEAH MAN -

Someone needs to take the crash cymbal away from that guy !!!! JEESH

16. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. This guy plays in a classic rock band and I guess playing blues isn’t his thing. He has the biggest drum rig I’ve ever seen – 2 kick drums, a regular snare and a piccolo snare, around 7 toms, 9 or 10 cymbals and all sorts of percussion things he can hit. And hit he does! But the funny thing is he can play quietly and subtlety too. I did a gig in the pit band for a musical about 2 years ago and he was the drummer. He played really well, and he’s the only rock drummer I’ve ever worked with who could actually read drum charts, which he did flawlessly.

We now take you back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Princeton Reverbs........

FVB

17. Timmo

Timmo Member

My' 64 PR has outlasted many a BFDR. I love both but a good PR is hard to beat! :dude

18. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I've had a few Princeton Reverbs, and currently have a blackface that I enjoy. I also have a a couple Pro Reverbs and a blonde Bassman. I've had MANY brownface, blackface, silverface Fenders. The Princeton Reverb is very nice, and it is easy to carry!

19. arriba

arriba Member

Use a Blackface Princeton Reverb and a Brown Princeton in Stereo. A little Reverb from the Blackface and a bit Tremolo from the Brown. very nice sound. :)

[​IMG]

20. rh

I wish I could say they're cheap: MSRP is $1600 and change. But they are VERY well and consistently made.

Reverb -- killer reverb. Very phat. Rated at 50w, although the preamp gain is low so it's more like 20w or so of SPL. It's pure tube headroom.

The stock speaker is a 300w neodyne with a muted high end (which is understandable, since the amp is made as a high-headroom jazz tube amp).