Blackface Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 98FlySupreme, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

There is a '66 Pro Reverb for sale locally. My question is, how much should I be willing to pay for this amp if it is in excellent condition? If it has the Jensens, how much more should I be willing to pay than if it has the Oxfords. The issue isn't really the amp itself--I love the blackface Fender sound. But I'm not sure what the market price is right now on these things. I've noticed the amp has received very warm reviews here. Thanks.

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a standing offer of $2200 for my exc. cond. 1965 in all original condition with jensens.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I am no expert... :moon (but)

I just purchased a 65 in real good shape. Though there were rumors about some $1200 BFPR's, I did not find any at that price (that were not toast). I checked locally, harmony, the gear mall and of course, the bay. It appears that a few have recently changed hands at about 15, I heard one went for 13 san speakers and I have seen a few listed for 18-21 but they are not moving at that price. I paid 16 after shipping.

Don't know if this is representative but I looked for almost a month before I bought mine. I was piosed to snatch a rough 68 SF until this one came along.

Three or four years ago I saw them going for 800. I think they are on the rise. Look at the BFSR, BFDR and the BFVR of the same era and they are bringing about 1G more than a pro and lets face it - the pro is all that and, in some cases, more.

15 that's my final answer.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Pro is my favorite Fender Blackface. I sold a DR and TR, both 1965s and exc. cond. The Pro just sounded much better. Mine is near mint and sounds killer.

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Here - whatch this one and see what happens.

Vintage 1967 Blackface Fender Pro Reverb

Item number: 7391872674[​IMG]

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

IMO, the Blackface Pro Reverb is the best BF Fender ever made. That amp is pure buttah' with a Strat!

7. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

I'm starting to feel like I should REALLY pick this amp up if it's in good shape. I think a BF Fender would have much more vibe than a boutique, and would also be my first vintage amp. It just makes me wonder why I wasn't buying one 6 years ago when I was spending $800 on reissue Marshalls and the like.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agreed 100%. My66 Super reverb is gone. My Pro is still here. I do like the bassmans more however, but they are very different for sure. The Pro Reverb is my fave BF fender ever. Richer than a twin, thicker and bigger sounding than a Super or Vibro. My Cowtippers eat it up though. Amazing.

9. Ripfence

Ripfence Member

I have seen them go for $1,200 - $1,700 from private parties. The prices are only going to go up as time goes on.

10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Brown is on hte way to deliver my 65 today.

I report back soon:p

11. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

There is one in the Vintage Guitar Magazine 100% original and listed as exc++. They are asking $2,700. I know that is somewhat higher than I would pay for it. I would say for an ALL ORIGINAL 100% prisitne cond. And I mean all original down to the caps, speakers, board and the rest they should go for $, 2,100ish. The blue book value in exc++ pr all original if you will is $2,100 as well.

Dont these 1960s Pro Reverbs run at 117 VOLT? How do you get that up to 120 Volt? Is it safe to run at 117 Volt in the US? Thats why I stayed away fro,m one this month I was going to buy. Info would be apprec.! TX!

12. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Another vote for the Pro Reverb as my favorite blackface Fender. Mine is a '66. The only problem I have with it is the weight ( bad back ).

There should be no problem running these amps at modern line voltages provided everything is up to spec in it. This is more of an issue with some lower powered tweed amps. As always be sure it has good caps and tubes in it and don't be afraid to put some decent replacement speakers in it. Hold on to the old tired ones for the vintage nazis in case you ever want to sell it ( you won't ).

Dan

13. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

WHen you say "UP TO SPEC WITH IT" do you simply mean it has a clean bill of health. The one I was looking at had all roignal caps, speakers, board, the works and had a "Claen bill of Health" Problenm wsa they were asking $2,700~!!!! Does your Black Face say 117 V???? So these amps are actually 120 V?? Im lost now! Please explain that one for the novices !:>)

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Brown has arrived!

The amp is in great shape and is a strong 9 out of 10.

By the way the one on eBay is sticking at 17 and has not met the reserve with only three hours left.

This supports my belief that 15 give or take is the current market median price for a good black face.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The one on they bay went for 18!

16. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Excellent! Mine is in better shape than that one!! LOL!!:D

17. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Supporting Member

I won this one off of eBay last November.

Sprague Blue Atoms filter cap job. That's it. Original Oxfords. I did the 3-prong myself. I keep thinking I should buy better speakers, but when I play through it I forget all about that.

Look for 'local pick-up only'.

It's a '65, $705.88

[​IMG]

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

So is mine!

So I tried mine out and it sounds great! Very lound and much clearer or more defined than my bandmaster but it also has more crunch at 5 than the BM. The Vibe does not work but the reverb is great. I tried her with a strat for about a half hour and then I pluged in my LP... who ever said these sound better with singls coils is high! With the Paul, v-4, T-7, B-5, R-2.5 ish... Killer tone, oh man I am very happy!- the neighbors may not be, but this thing sounds great. I need to replace the chord, clean the knobs (tan dirt in the groves) , and fix the vibe.

I feel good about this purchase!

One thing that is strange, but I think it is original, is that the face plate says Fender Electric Instruments but the back says Fender Musical instruments a division of Columbia Recording Distribution.....
    But the "Fender Book" says that actually "there is no such thing as a pre CBS Pro Reverb - Fender electric yes but the Pre CBS no".

No matter - she sounds great!:D