Blackface Super Reverb blowing fuses?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Stratoben127, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

My main amp is a 1966 Super Reverb. I recently had it recapped, looked over, and had a fresh set of NOS Phillips 6L6WBs installed for a little less headroom (still a direct 6L6 replacement). It has a new Groove Tube rectifier too.

I had $400 worth of work done in late December. It blew two fuses the first time I took it to a gig right after I got it back. It was in a place without the best power and I realized I had fast blow fuses and put a slow blow in. It lasted for a while that way so I thought the issue went away and it just needed to break in. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later it blew another fuse and I realized that this crackle at idle came back like it had before I got it recapped. Kind of like a faint popping.

Since I got it back in December, it's blown about 10 fuses. When it works it sounds incredible, but it's so unreliable I can't keep taking it out. The shop I took it to charged me $400 for a cap job, new RCA jack, bias, and installing new speakers I already purchased for $200. I don't want to take it back there if they couldn't fix it the first time and they're supposed to specialize in vintage Fenders. Plus it's really far from me. Does this issue sound like anything that would be easy to fix by somebody with limited tech skills and a multimeter?

Disclaimer: I run the amp hard. My settings are Bright on, Volume 10, Treble 9, Middle, 8, Bass, 4, Reverb 3. Obviously this will put some more stress on the amp but it's no reason for it to be blowing fuses like it is.

2. RiftAmps

RiftAmps Member

If you do some reading and be really careful, you might be able to diagnose the problem yourself.

Start here - http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/fuseblow.htm

Take your time, don't rush and don't be afraid to ask for help

3. zenas

zenas Member

Who knows what the shop did ? I've bought a bunch of amps that have been "checked out by a Fender guru". Some even came with the recipts I got them all cheap because they didn't work right.

First thing I'd look at is the electrolytics because some of the "gurus" think they can test them and leave them in if they test fine.
    I have a garbage can full of 50 year old electrolytics that test fine. They just don't work worth a dam.

Could be other things too but that's the first thing I'd check.

4. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

...and the 6L6WGB's are still installed? If you are popping fuses, the power tubes are the first suspects. WGB's are not a 30 watt tube; sounds like they were getting exercised pretty hard.