Blackface Super Reverbs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Colt, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Colt

Colt Member

I'm buying a 65 or 66. I think they're really cool.

Anyone else gigin' these? Cool....everyone discuss all things super reverb.

2. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

I've gigged a lot with my '64 Super Reverb. I like blackface SR's a lot, I think they are one of the best amps out there.
    I think it's a perfect amp for blues, very punchy and clear.
    Sometimes (in small clubs) it was impossible to crank it up, but my '64 has a lot of headroom compared to other vintage SR's I used. Sometimes I played with the amp facing the back of the stage, so I could set the volume at 6 or 7 and let the amp deliver the goods without hurting the ears of the first rows.
    I love the 4x10 configuration and the reverb (and tremolo) on this amp are exceptional.
    Believe me, you're going to love this amp. A true classic!

3. m1911

m1911 Member

Just saw Robben Ford last month touring with The Bluesbreakers.
    He used a Les Paul through an old Super Reverb. Sounded good, but we went onstage after the show to chat with Buddy Whittington and I walked over to confirm he had the Bass rolled off. I thought during the whole show his tone was just a bit too crisp, or bright even though he was using a Les Paul. Not a knock....let alone a knock on his amp either....just that I would have rather seen the treble rolled off a bit, and the bass up more.
    .....but I digress....
    The real point is that he can use ANYTHING he wants, and he chose to haul around that old thing....VERY COOL!
    It also confirms that I wish I'd see more 4x10's out there.

Fender finally decided to offer point-to-point tube amps again after all these years and made a Tweed Twin and Vibroverb.....but missed it when they re-introduced the Super Reverb by using a PCB. I think a PTP SR would sell well for them....but who knows?
    Mark

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have an almost mint '66 that has one small, easily reversible mod - I have a negative feedback control in the back where the ext. speaker jack goes. It lets you dial in a bit more grit and makes it more rich sounding. I highly suggest it!
    What are you using for tubes? I have some 7581's in it that are great.

5. glasman

glasman Guest

After selling my 64' Vibroverb I was kicking myself :horse big time.

I was lucky enough to come across a '66 Super Reverb at a garage sale. Paid $75.00 for it (honest!), replaced the grill cloth with aged material and the speakers (had a hodge podge of crap in it) with 4 Fender Blue frame alincos and could not be happier. The amp really works well on stage.

I don't take it out too much, she is almost 40 now. But she really has that TONE..... Volume on about 7, tone to taste and control the amp with the guitar, it doesn't get too much better (unless I am playing one of my amps :) )

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you can find one for a decent price!

Gary

PS> I tried the reissue SR, but it was not even close in the tone department.

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

I had a black face Super Reverb growing up in the 70's, and used to overdrive it with an LPB-1 Power Booster in the input. Wish I still had that amp! Man, what a great amp. I used to run it at 8 1/2, and it rocked!

7. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

The Super is tied for my favorite Fender amp of all time with the 6G6-B Blonde Bassman head, which I own. No other amp does what the Super does and there is something special about the 4X10 2 ohm speaker configuration. If I ever find one in reasonable shape for reasonable money, I'll buy it, road case it and gig it until it dies.

JT

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I have a '67 with brown label Jensen C10's, I think... I've played it on stage thousands of times and it has never let me down. Occasionally, the reverb will cut out on me, but the amp sounds great without it. This amp is loud... and I mean loud! I will sometimes use THD Yellowjackets with it to tame the volume and often use an Ayan Smooth n' Slim to tame the fartiness of the bass. Great amp all by itself. I had the negative feedback loop disconnected for a while, but a friend put it back on to use it in the studio. I've never gotten around to pulling it again, though I liked it. Perhaps a switch? Anyway, the point is that it sounds great no matter what I do!

9. monstermike

monstermike Member

Loud loud loud loud loud.

And one of the most conceptually and functionally perfect amps ever made by anyone.

10. johan

johan Member

11. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Great amps. I've been using a just post cbs blackface super for gigs since 1986.

12. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I'm reasonably certain that for what they would sell for you could score an old one in decent shape.

Anyway, I've got one and love it. Though because of how loud it is I tend not to use it at gigs very much.

I'll never forget the first time I took it to Antone's--the sound guy listened for a second and said "That old Super's got some balls!"

That sums it up for me. :AOK

13. woof*

woof* Member

when i came down to texas over ten yrs ago, a super reverb was THE amp in all the clubs i played so i got one..then another and then another one. a 64,66 and a 67. the 67 is the only one left and still my main amp. i play it in tandem with my rockytop jtm45 w 410 cab. but alot of times just the super. i love em and agree they are the perfect oveall amp. clean to scream with your strats volume knob with a good super. i use pedals for the volume prob..and even if you have to turn down so low its not as fun..a super has a clean that still inspires. in fact i dont know of any amp with as good a clean as a super for what i do..(blues/blues rock). overall they are as dependable as they come too... just keep em fresh tubed and biased. a super is a very heavy animal.. so get a road case to roll it around in..otherwise you will be always looking for help at gigs
    rand

14. parker

parker Member

My sweet '64 SR

[​IMG]

15. johan

johan Member

Sweet Dumble, parker ;)

16. parker

parker Member

:eek: finger slipped :eek:

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

About ten years ago, Black Supers were industry standard in the clubs up here in the northeast too. They don't seem quite as popular these daze; Devilles have kinda taken that over. But I still see em once in awhile and it's always a treat. Perhaps my favorite amp, ever.

Nobody's mentioned this yet, but I'm pretty sure green is the *best* color for a Black Super lamp jewel :cool:

/rick

18. myles111

myles111 Member

One of the most amazing amps ever made.

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

No way. The purple ones sound better.

:D

Mine is a '66 serviced and brought back up to spec by George Alessandro. Original CTS speakers. What a terrific amp. This one sat unused in a closet at a high school for 20 years. Makes you wonder what the heck they were using instead doesn't it!?

Dan

20. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

No. actually no jewel light works best- I get to keep it cranked up just so I'm certain it's still on.:cool:

I've been slowly piecing a '67 Super Reverb together. It'll be a parts-amp when I'm done, but it already sounds fabulous, loud, or not. Great with all the styles I'm capable of playing and any pickup combination. It's one of the few amps I'm confident of saying that everybody should have in their arsenal, and for many folks it might be the only one they need!