Blackface/Tweed Crossbreed Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Nov 9, 2005.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Looking for something that has the best of both worlds... fuller tighter bass of a blackface with the sugary sweet highs and warmth of a tweed, as well as the smokey, furry overdrive of a tweed... Reverb and/or Trem is a bonus...

and no... I don't want a Carr Rambler:D

Any ideas? Closest I could think of were some of the custom Victorias like the Victorilux and Victoriette.

Was thinking of the Meteor II but I'd rather have a mix of the two tones than a blackface channel and a tweed channel.

Any ideas? Thanks fellas.

-TJK

2. brianf

brianf Member

Line6 Vetta II ;)

brianf

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

I might consider looking at the Heritage Liberty. It is their take on a tweed (I think that is what the website says). However, it has a normal and bight volume that are jumpered so you can blend them. Also, it has a mood control that controls the amount of negitive feedback in the circuit (again, from their website) so you can get a more aggressive sound and achive breakup sooner. I have one, and love it. I really don't have enough experiece to say it is exactly what you are looking for, but it is comperable to my blackface twin in its cleans. However, to get the breakup, you need to be pretty loud. 45watts 26L6s

I love mine...

Here is the website....the one in the site is actually mine. I have two matching 1X12 extension cabs. I can either run one or both.

'Link To Liberty

4. theHoss

theHoss Member

I forgot the mention the Verb ---It is amazing on Heritages, probably the best I have heard. No trem though......

5. theHoss

theHoss Member

One more thing about the MOOD.....at lower settings it is really tight, at higher it loosens up so you can really create your own hi-bred......

If you haven't checked out Heritages, you should. PaulC (the timmy designer) is behind them. He is one of those guys that you will want to have one of his amps in a couple of years. Plus, they are priced as a great value.

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Kendrick, with his "texas tea" control purports to have the best of both worlds. Not sure if it really nails both but it's a fine stab at it...

8. Curly

Curly Member

I'd be interested to know, too.

IMO, they're different approaches. The key may be in the feedback loop, which is probably why that's sometimes a mod.

the Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb might be a consideration, since it's a version of the original circuit, but with no negative feedback.

happy hunting!

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks for the suggestions fellas... vintage anything is out of the question, and I've tried everything new Fender has had to offer over the last 5 years and none of it has done anything for me.

I really think the negative feed-back has something to do with it as well...

I'm looking for something that really is a unique mix between the two at the same time... not something that has a control to take it from one to the other.

Keep the suggestions coming, and thank you so far. The Liberty sounds interesting... but by the specs, like an internally jumpered Bassman with some special sauce and features... if I get a chance, I'll talk to Paul or try one out.

-TJK

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

If you do talk to Paul, I would love to hear what he has to say. I dig my Liberty, but don't really have the wealth of knowledge Paul, or other folks on this list do, so its always nice to hear the more what the veteran players say.

Good luck....

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'd think you'd want to look at Allen Amps. With the RAW control you can dial in a fair amount of tweediness while still having the ability to back it off for blackface type cleans.

12. CNP

CNP Member

Why don't you want a Carr Rambler? Seems like it would be exactly what you're looking for, if you're looking for a cross between tweed and blackface. My only other suggestion would be a Victoria Victorilux--

13. monstermike

monstermike Member

The Victoriette with 6V6s. Or if you need more power, the Victorilux with 6L6s.

My 6V6 Victoriette is ridiculous, and matches your description just about accurately.

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really would love to have one of those amps.

15. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Tone King Comet

Tone King Meteor

Tone King Meteor II

16. gizmo

gizmo Guest

Brown Deluxe owner checking in. I've heard browns described as the "missing link" between tweeds and BFs too but I don't hear it that way. I think tweeds and browns are similar but BFs are just a different breed.

I did some A/B'ing with various Deluxes that was interesting. Between the early wide panel and later narrow panel Deluxes, you could hear the progresion to more articulate highs and lows. The narrows are still very middy but less so than early tweed deluxes.

Next came the brown which continued that progression. More articulation but also NOTICEABLY higher gain. What a screamer! My favorite by far.

Then the BFs just seem to go off on their own. The cleans are the best and they seem to have a little more harmonic sparkle. But the overdrive is just different. It's not as gainy as the brown and it also just seems to have a different type of gain structure that for the life of me, I can't describe with words. All I can say is that it's different. You'll have to hear them to appreciate it.

Just my $.02.

17. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

So you've already ruled out the Vibro-King?

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. The prices on used ones are very reasonable, too.

Anyhow, I'm very familiar with the VK and would be curious to hear what you don't like about it. Knowing that might help to refine some of the suggestions folks are tossing out...

19. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I actually found the amp in general to be too thin for my tastes... it didn't have that extra mid-range thickness that I usually associate with tweeds... I do agree though, it had a sweeter highend and more raunch when driven than the other Fender designs I've tried... I'm also a bit of a boutique snob as well as I prefer the customer service and customizing options.

The reason I don't want a Rambler is because it has very loose low-end and that is really something that I can't have... I like the bloom and roundess of the low-end... but when driven it farted out quite badly.

As for the two channel options, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking for a single SOUND that incorporates both Tweed and Blackface elements, so the Dual Classic and Tone King amps, as tempting as they are, are also not what I'm looking for.

The Louis Electric HS M12 sounds really great... I'll have to try a Victoriette with 6V6's and too me... I've been listening to the Bruno Underground 30 clips and I've sort of been hearing the vibe of a tweed/blackface thing, especially in regards to the sweetness in the high end, more firm low-end and more pronounced mids... but I have no idea how it sounds when driven.

Sorry I'm so fussy:p

-TJK

20. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Another suggestion is to have Dave Allen do a brownface mod on one channel of a blackface anp... I have a '65 deluxe I purchased from a fellow forumite that has the trem channel basically stock and has the normal channel set up with a brownface voicing... The two channels are night and day different.

I suspect he can do this on a variety of Fenders... I find it to be a pretty cool rig for getting those two sounds out of one package.