blackface twin clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, May 23, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

well i'm sick of my fender '65 twin RI constantly crapping out on me. i'm looking for a really well made clone of a blackface twin that both sounds great and is reliable. thanks.

2. Amplite

Amplite Member

David Allen of Allen Amps is a great guy, sort of a Fender guru. He offers many Fender type amps that are top quality!

http://www.allenamps.com/

:dude

3. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

You might consider asking Clark Amplification about rebuilding your Twin into one of his handwired versions. Check this out...

Clark Amps

4. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

niiice. thanks guys. it seems like the blackface boutique market is somewhat slim compared to the tweed market, huh? a quality blackface twin and a tweed bassman of some sort will hopefully be coming to join my amp family soon.:dude

5. davebc

davebc Member

You could also find a Fender Custom Shop Dual Professional.As a long time Twin lover I can tell you that they're were the custom shops best kept secret,amazing! And, real purdy too!

Or,how about this for a novel idea,find an original BF Twin.
    I see them up for grabs all the time at very reasonable prices considering they're the real deal.
    Geez,now I'm making myself want to buy one!

6. gep

gep Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Gries amp at Juinior's Music In CT or his site. He builds a few different types of Blackface amps.

7. voxworld

voxworld Member

Tone King Comet, or the new Tone King Meteor. Not quite a Twin, but so much better all around that you'll never go back.

8. Mark C

Mark C Member

Or, you could just get an early silverface twin (pretty much the same as a blackface) and have a tech check it out and make sure it will be reliable.

9. calieng

calieng Member

I dropped a Hoffman AB763 PTP board in my '65 Deluxe Reverb RI. It sounds fantastic and the same board could also be used in your Twin. You may need to add the rectifier if it is on the stock RI board and not seperate...I've never taken one apart before so I am not sure.

I did the work myself on the DRRI for $230 (the cost of the assembled board only) but if you need a tech to do it, it would be about a $500+ upgrade. The advantage is you end up with a new "boutique" amp that will hold its own against most any other amp out there. If you buy a vintage Twin you may end up with an amp that needs a lot of work with a beatup cabinet.

Either way, the stock '65 RI Twin falls short of its true potential by a long shot.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II head with 212 cab.
    You will NOT believe your ears.
    S.
    j

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Bruno Cow Tipper 90

[​IMG]

12. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Hoffman AB763 board. I bought one in a 2x10 Bandmaster that I stupidly sold (to calieng!) that was one of the sweetest BF amps I'd ever heard.

13. calieng

calieng Member

It's now a true 1-15" Vibroverb clone!

[​IMG][/URL]

14. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Stevie!