• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Blackface Twin Reverb problems, help!

JonnyAlright

I bought a 66 Twin Reverb on ebay and when I got it the speaker was blown. I didn't notice right off the bat because this is actually the first Fender amp I've ever owned.

So I have a predicament... I'm about to be recording with my group and finding a Jensen speaker from the time period could be pretty hard and pricey. So I was wondering if there were any other speakers ppl ever pair with a Jensen or have replaced stock Twin speakers with.

A guy at a guitar shop I took it to said he likes Celestion heritage V30s in Fenders, but I hadn't heard of that.

Anything? Should I just wait til I can come across a 66 Jensen? Does it really matter that much for recording anyway since I'll most likely only be miking 1 speaker anyway?

Thanks!

I have a twin with vintage 30's and i like it. I also have another with the Eminence speakers that come in the reissues and the HRDX, and Devilles. I think they sound good, especialy at lower volumes. Great for recording. You can pick those up dirt cheap. The weber 12f150's are very popular, but I prefer the above mentioned ones myself. Trial is your best bet.

BertusJ65

you could pull one set(2 middle or 2 outer) of power tubes and use the 1 good speaker.
dont really need 85 watts for recording
best o luck

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Running one speaker, which I assume is an 8 ohm speaker, will make a very subtle difference in the way the amp reacts and sounds since the output transformer is not working to its maximum efficiency with that loud. Probably a barely noticeable change.

It probably won't make that much of a difference, as far as recording sound, even if you mic'd from far away - we're talking 1x12 vs 2x12 in what's likely a small place.

What kind of Jensen is it? C12N? You don't have to get a '66.

I have a 2x12 with Jensen P12Ns from '60 and I don't pair them with any other speakers just because almost all modern production speakers are more sensitive than old Jensen's i.e. the modern prod speakers are most likely to drown out an old Jensen P12N.

JonnyAlright

I have a twin with vintage 30's and i like it. I also have another with the Eminence speakers that come in the reissues and the HRDX, and Devilles. I think they sound good, especialy at lower volumes. Great for recording. You can pick those up dirt cheap. The weber 12f150's are very popular, but I prefer the above mentioned ones myself. Trial is your best bet.
Cool I hadn't actually heard of using Celestions in Fenders combos but the guy at the shop talked as if it were fairly common. Thanks!

JonnyAlright

Running one speaker, which I assume is an 8 ohm speaker, will make a very subtle difference in the way the amp reacts and sounds since the output transformer is not working to its maximum efficiency with that loud. Probably a barely noticeable change.

It probably won't make that much of a difference, as far as recording sound, even if you mic'd from far away - we're talking 1x12 vs 2x12 in what's likely a small place.

What kind of Jensen is it? C12N? You don't have to get a '66.

I have a 2x12 with Jensen P12Ns from '60 and I don't pair them with any other speakers just because almost all modern production speakers are more sensitive than old Jensen's i.e. the modern prod speakers are most likely to drown out an old Jensen P12N.
It is a C12N... Even the V30's would be? I kinda feel like they wouldn't be quite as clean, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!

JonnyAlright

you could pull one set(2 middle or 2 outer) of power tubes and use the 1 good speaker.
dont really need 85 watts for recording
best o luck
So it really doesn't matter which set is pulled out? Is that a bad idea for live too? Because I've never turned the amp above 6 and when I gig it's usually only at like 3 or 4 anyways...

BertusJ65

it's a good idea for live in smaller clubs.
with only 1 speaker and 2 power tubes, it keeps the impedance ratio where it should be.
even if you have 2 speakers and 2 power tubes, Fenders are great at handling the mismatch.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
So it really doesn't matter which set is pulled out? Is that a bad idea for live too? Because I've never turned the amp above 6 and when I gig it's usually only at like 3 or 4 anyways...
You would need to pull either the two inside tubes or two outside tubes.

It would be a good idea to re-bias.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
It is a C12N... Even the V30's would be? I kinda feel like they wouldn't be quite as clean, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!
Yeah, the V30s are 100 dB. Your speaker is probably like 97 dB.

I personally don't like V30s for anything but modern rock. They have a strong sound of their own and seem to make a lot of amps sound similar.

Can't really comment on the cleans on V30s. I always played high gain through them before I got rid of them.

A lot of people like them though, so YMMV.

Trending Topics