Blackface Vibrolux or Deluxe reverb build?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pjd3, Feb 23, 2012.

1. pjd3

pjd3 Member

Alright. I admit it. I have lost all power of decision, pulled back and forth between the highlights and benefits of these two amps. I'm weak now, and it would probably be easier to just be talked into building one or the other. I plan on being with my current band for quite a while , and my Bogner Alchemist has too many knobs and quirks that make good, repeatable consistent tone impossible for me. The drummer plays a Roland V-set which makes for a lower stage volume than the good old days of smacking acoustic drums. I fight to keep a lower stage volume for the juice from working the 2 6L6GC's into a Weber 12F150B keeps me in a fight between compromising stage volume and good, rich dynamic vicseral, punchy guitar response. I cant seem to have both at the same time. My band does a wide variety of classic rock, 60's to 90's, and I use a FD2, Analogman Chorus, a homemade "Thor" pedal for Marshally tones, and a homemade germanium fuzzface type pedal. We do everything from nice Beatle tunes and Eagles, to pretty cranked AC/DC and heavier so, I do need alot of versatality in an amp, one that will do spanky tight cleans and also translate an over driven Crunch pedal well. I have owned a DRRI with good NOS tubes and although it served we well, I did feel wanting of a bigger cleaner sound at times especially in the lower registers. That was with a much louder band ,however. I've never played through a Blackface Vibrolux but, I do know the difference between using 6V6's and 6L6GC's. They both are nice in thier own way. So, here it is. Building a Deluxe reverb is a great idea because its' lower power and earlier breakup is a very welcome trait in the band I'm in now. I would just hope that I'm not let down in the "bigger, tighter bass" department. The Vibrolux comes across to me as possibly more versatile for what I'm doing, giving a greater range of cleaner/bigger to handling overdrive pedals. My fear is that I'll still be wanting to turn the Vibrolux up in Volume to get the tubes and components working harder for that nice tube driven sound and be back to the stage volume fight thing. I thought I might try say, a Mini-Mass, something like that to drive the amp a little harder with less stage volume. I'll be sinking some good bucks into this build and I'm really hoping to choose the most compatible amp for my needs. It would really suck to finish the amp and realize the other choice would hve been the better one. So, I keep thinking, reading, listening, going back and forth. Based on what you've had the great patience to hear from me, what would you do?
    PS. I was going for a Blackface style build on these.

Thank YOu,

PHil

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Unless you're sure that a Deluxe will be powerful enough, with enough clean headroom and low end tightness, the Vibrolux is probably your best bet. Using OD pedals instead of an amp that breaks up at all lead volumes is way more versatile anyway.

As far as building, they're virtually identical.

3. LarryN

LarryN Member

I agree with Mike. If the DRRI didn't cut it, you'll be back where you started.

4. Zerksies

Zerksies Member

I would go for the Vibrolux If you need a clean louder cleaner sound the Vibrolux will do it. Since you are planning to use Dirt pedals anyway

5. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Vibroluxes also tend to get more aggressive on their own compared to a Deluxe. I think they have a much nicer natural overdrive due in part to the 2x10 configuration, but the 6L6s help keep the bass a little tighter as well. The mids from a Vibrolux are great. Probably the best EQ balance in the Blackface lineup - sounds the least scooped to me.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. And, Allen amps has an excellent set of transformers for a VR build.

7. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Personally if I were building something, I would want it a little different than what you could buy already out there. Maybe a Vibrolux or Deluxe Reverb that uses KT66 power tubes. Something like that.

8. pjd3

pjd3 Member

Thank you all for your quality feedback. Well, it looks pretty unanimous from you experienced amp guys that the Vibrolux would be the way to go and in fact, I had changed my mind to the Vibrolux because I knew it would hold together under increasing volume. And that was Mike K. that outfitted my DRRI with the NOS tubes. I remember how impressed I was with the difference. The wife even noticed. Pure proof there. I also like the suggestion to look at some different power tubes. This amp doesn't have to be a dead ringer for a Vibrolux. A little uniqueness is certainly welcome as long as it remains the versatile foundation for tone that I'll need. A question for those that may know this. I was under the impression that the preamp tubes in the Vibrolux are supplied a lower voltage that cause some of that nice graininess or give, to the response. Is that true? If it is, may I use a different PT as to have two different switchable voltages available to the tubes with out compromising anything or causing problems? I love the tone/response of the Vibrolux but it would also be nice to get a more "Super reverbish" suppleness/clarity to the tone, too. Am I pushing it or is this something that can be done? I would consider that a very useful feature.

Thank you all for your input and consideration. Appreciated.
    Phil

9. hangten

hangten Member

1 last vote for the Vibrolux ;)

let us know how it turns out!!

10. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

11. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

are you set on building the amp?
    because a real one is too expensive?

are you set on the combo aspect?