Blackface Vibrolux Reverb 1x12 Conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaoMan, May 22, 2011.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

One or two 10's never really worked for me. Four of course is another story entirely.

I played a VR for years that I set up with a 10/12 combo and also had en early Budda Twinmaster with the same. Seems to get the best of both worlds. I'll probe ably setup an incoming Allen Encore head with the same - if I can find a 10" Fane Alnico to go with my 12" that is.

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Honestly, the difference in sound between 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads on most any good Fender is subtle at best. The 12 and 10' combo would probably be the best but once again I think it would be a rather subtle difference.

3. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Steve ... as always... Good stuff !

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Well...if you're comparing to a 1x12 or a 2x10, its a pretty big difference, at least to my ears.

As for the impedance mismatch, all I've ever really heard is a difference in headroom, not tone.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have two Gries 35s, which I understand are essentially VRs with a 12" speaker. One has a C-Rex, which gives me a warm sound for my 175 and also takes some of the top end off when I play with my Tele. I just like a loud clean sound with a small hint of break-up to fatten things up. The other has a WGS G12C, which is a lot more of a classic Fender sound, more clear and crisp. I've had VRs before, but these Gries's seem to work for me so I'm sticken' to them.

6. kimock

kimock Member

It's a 33% reduction in power at 8 ohms with a noticeable decrease in bass and treble, so more mid forward, less scooped.
    You trade off the cleanest, loudest, headroom and bright switch performance for an amp that sings that you can turn up.

It may seem to begin with only a few degrees of separation, but if you work with the amp in either impedance long enough you'll wind up in a different place musically with all the rest of your efforts to maximize the performance.
    It's too useful in practical terms to call it subtle in my opinion.

The impedance mismatch is how you expand the sweet spot on the non-master volume Fenders to deal with available gain at lower volumes, and the EQ changes at 8 ohms play into that perfectly.

7. starjag

starjag Member

I went in the other direction. Silverface Deluxe Reverb modded with iron to handle 6L6s.

8. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have a Meyer modded 06 CVR with Webers, a DRRI with a JBL 123. I like them as they are, but also have a 1 x 12 cab with a JBL e120 that I have used in conjunction with both of the above.

My 67 BF VR stays in the home studio. Rehabbed some by Pete Cage and loaded with Webers. Would not alter it.

I guess I would rather add a cab than drastically alter a combo.

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've never heard the 33% power cut stat before. I thought that was more for SS amps. Oh well, maybe I've forgotten more than I want to admit!

10. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I have a '65 Vibrolux Reverb with Jensen C10Q's. The amp sounds amazing and has plenty of bass response with the volume above 4 but for low volume I prefer the tone of the 12" Jensen in my silverface Deluxe Reverb. Going to a 12" in a BFVR sounds like as long as your keep the original can and speakers and go with a new cab and 4 ohm 12" speaker.

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

All this talk of Vibrolux's with a single 12........................ ;-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I've done this comparison a few times and if you compare a 1x12 speaker to 2x10 speakers of the same model type, the 12" has more low end.