Blackface vs Silverface - which is brighter/tighter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John Coloccia, Jun 16, 2008.

Which is Brighter/Tighter - Assumes BF pretty much all sound the same

1. Blackface is Brighter/Tighter

2. Silverface is Brighter/Tighter

3. Depends on the Silverface year

4. Depends on the specific Silverface

5. What's a Blackface?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

In another thread, I offered the opinion that to my ears, a Blackface is a little tighter and brighter than a Silverface. Someone else thought exactly the opposite: the Silverface is a little brighter.

So which is it :D

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Keeping mind speakers and tubes play a part, but in general, the blackfaces I have owned (66 pro, 65 super, 66 bassman) have been rounder, warmer, and bassier than the silverfaces (72 twin, 70s super, 70s bassman), which have been brighter, thinner, and sparklier. Not bad, just different.

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I've found my Silverface Vibrolux Reverb to be pretty bright. I've always heard of Blackface amps as breaking up earlier, I think that's probably the only consistent thing you'll read regarding the two eras?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I hate to generalize since it's rarely useful, but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to give a general answer, it would be silverface.

To be accurate you have to talk about specific amp models. Even then, 10 different SF or BF amps of the same model will all sound different than the others.

5. stump

stump Member

My Silverface Super sounds brighter and tighter than my friend's 1967 Blackface Super. I think that they both sound great but have their own personality.

6. phatster

phatster Member

Why do you want to know!?Buy the amp YOU think is best for you,THEN get busy making it YOUR SOUND!

7. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

70's Silverfaces are very bright generally...Twin's and Deluxe's can almost be shirll even with the treble almost off.

8. John Coloccia

LOL.... I really appreciate the advice but I'm not in the market for an amp.

9. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

It was me that disagreed! Funny how things sound so different, with so many variables.

Guess I'm mostly basing it on the Twin. Even before the push/pull/master volume, they seemed, well, "brighter and tighter". On the other hand, I say this all the time: I could be imagining it!

Great discussion, and good for amps in general - trying to describe their traits.

10. John Coloccia

It's pretty clear most agree with you :D

Most BF twins sound pretty much the same to me so I must just be finding all the muddy SF's in New England!

11. AL30

AL30 Member

Overall I'd have to go with the SF amps being brighter. I think glahnb summed it up for me. That's a good explanation. But, it really depends on the amp. My '72 Quad Reverb was too thin for my tastes until I had the circuit "blackfaced". It smoothed it out and really helped out the clean sound.

AL

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I'm no expert, but what I've read on the innerweb was that the caps that Fender put on the power tubes to control the oscillation that they were getting from poor lead dress in the SF years killed some audible high end frequencies which deprived SF amps of that characteristic Fender sparkle. That would mean BF's were brighter, no? Also changes in the phase inverter let more bass thorough. That would make SF amps looser and bassier. I didn't think that BF's were warmer and looser, but rather had more sparkle and were livelier. But like I said, this is mostly book learnin' FWIW.