Blackguards!

HuggyWuggy

NzvDko2.jpg

Great pic.

Dashface

So amazing. I wonder which of the Musikraft necks is closest (asking for people who are too poor to ever have a 53 ha ha).

mmannaxx

Guitar Center in Austin had a '53 for a while, 4 or 5 years ago, I got to play it at some length, through a DR a couple times.
The best tele I ever played, and yea, neck, sound, feel, just great.
35k at the time, though. Out of my price range
If I saw a 53 Tele under 7 lbs for $35K I would try to buy it. Since I was born in 52 I would like one of those especially it if was as good as the 53s appear to be!

ripgtr

If I saw a 53 Tele under 7 lbs for $35K I would try to buy it. Since I was born in 52 I would like one of those especially it if was as good as the 53s appear to be!
Didn't weigh it, since I was in a store, but then, I don't weigh guitars. Didn't seem heavy.
Sounded heavy. ;-)

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
So amazing. I wonder which of the Musikraft necks is closest (asking for people who are too poor to ever have a 53 ha ha).

In my experience, for a great 53 neck feel and look, serial #4942 Musikraft Blackguard is the one for me. Tadeo taper. So good, I have 2 builds with it. Choose your radius and fretwire if you want to change that.

Serial12th DotRad 1stRad 12ThNut Width 1stWidth 12thThick 1stThick12thBack ProfileTruss NutPlug

4942 .79 7.25 7.25 1.67. 2.04 .931.001953 Baseball BatDbl.SlotWalnut

Dashface

In my experience, for a great 53 neck feel and look, serial #4942 Musikraft Blackguard is the one for me. Tadeo taper. So good, I have 2 builds with it. Choose your radius and fretwire if you want to change that.

Serial12th DotRad 1stRad 12ThNut Width 1stWidth 12thThick 1stThick12thBack ProfileTruss NutPlug

4942 .79 7.25 7.25 1.67. 2.04 .931.001953 Baseball BatDbl.SlotWalnut

I’m usually pretty firmly a v-neck guy, but that sounds just about perfect!

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
I’m usually pretty firmly a v-neck guy, but that sounds just about perfect!
It is an amazing carve. Heavily rolled edges and an in between nut width, which is the way that particular ‘53 Blackguard was. Very comfortable.

RLP

kul384X.jpg

Three of the best sounding blackguards I have ever played. '53s are remarkably consistent. Fender figured out the formula that year. Perfect necks, perfect Telecaster tone. Two of these are six and a half pounders, one is just over 7 lbs. I've recently played Danny Gatton's '53 and the Roadrunner '53 that Tom Bukovac used to own. Plus three more '53s this year alone. All on the same level tonally, all with pretty much identical feeling necks. It's my favorite year for Teles.

PFPgYLP.jpg

ADAggTI.jpg
Stellar!

crashbelt

Silver Supporting Member
Since we're talking about 53 blackguards, I love my refin 53 (Oct 53 neck date).

I wanted an 'affordable' blackguard that I could happily gig. JK Guitars in London had done a great aged refin on this previously badly refinished 53 Tele. The parts are original and JKG's aged refin job nicely fits with them. The other issue taking it way out of collector territory (and cost) is that the fretboard had been previously planed nearly flat.

As a real player grade 53 its a dream to play - sounds incredible and is no worry to gig in the UK equivalent of 'dive bars'.

20201123_105656 2.jpeg

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Looking at Gatton's '53, and knowing about the cubic zirconia dots on the side of the board (which stuck out, right?), I'm guessing he would have been all over the glow in the dark side markers made today.

dr.prick

For those of us who can't afford 3 to 6(!) 1953 Telecasters, can anyone chime in on the best years for repros? (I'm not saying I'm too jealous...I bought a '62 Strat in the 80's for $440.)

hogy

For those of us who can't afford 3 to 6(!) 1953 Telecasters, can anyone chime in on the best years for repros? (I'm not saying I'm too jealous...I bought a '62 Strat in the 80's for $440.)

Just to be clear, those are not all my guitars. I work on vintage guitars, those just happened to come together at one time, so I took some family pictures.

As far as repros, that's not my era of expertise. But a friend of mine has one of the high end Danocasters with the Ron Ellis pickups, and it's a very good guitar. Neck feel is pretty spot on and the tone is in line with some originals. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that guitar. I think those are like $5k.

The Nacho stuff is very good, too. Visually the most accurate. I don't know how much those cost.

Craig S

I love old blackguards as well. Don't despair on these prices - I've seen 'em go for higher than current prices only to fall dramatically. One friend has a nice '52 that he paid 40K for back in the early 2000's. When the market fell he was left holding a 25k guitar. Only now is it back to near his original purchase price. If the economy tanks there won't be as many buyers for vintage guitars, cars, art, etc. Until then I have to settle for my Custom Shop Nocaster relic and keep my powder dry.

hogy

I love old blackguards as well. Don't despair on these prices - I've seen 'em go for higher than current prices only to fall dramatically. One friend has a nice '52 that he paid 40K for back in the early 2000's. When the market fell he was left holding a 25k guitar. Only now is it back to near his original purchase price.
Original blackguards are $65k to $85k right now, and selling.

Jazzandmore

@hogy What I’m curious about is how many times you’ve ended up working on guitars that were siblings? You didn’t necessarily have them in the shop at exactly the same time, but when working on one, you realize it’s sibling had been on your bench previously.

Not sure why but I find it fascinating, in a nerdy probability sort of way, that there are guitars made right next to each other, that leave the factory to go to all sorts of places, yet 50-70 years later, they end up in the same person’s hands for repair.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom