Blackheart 1-watt KILLER ANT! pics & clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OM Flyer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I think I found the ultimate in home recording/practice tube rigs. This thing puts out some serious tube tone at honest-to-god bedroom levels. Mind you, even at 1 watt it gets pretty loud, but nothing like the 5w Little Giant, and the tone is just as sweet. There's not much clean headroom, but with the volume set at 5 or 6 and the guitar volume at 7, you can mitigate some of the crunch. It's extremely responsive to pick attack at any volume, though, and there's always a little grit under the surface, waiting for you to dig in and release it.

This clip was recorded with my USA Strat straight into the Killer Ant stack. I used a Sennheiser e609 mic into my Korg D1200mkII. I lowered the volume on the amp for the quiet lead section and the rhythm guitar part, but the rest of what you're hearing is the amp dimed, in my home studio, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The cops didn't come, the neighbors didn't bitch, and the cat even slept through it!

The amp is 100% stock, with dual Chinese 12AX7 tubes (one pre, one power), and the stock Eminence Blackheart 10" speaker.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6320368

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. knn123

knn123 Member

Beginning to think you can make anything you play in would sound good. You have a excellent imaginary style. Well thought out licks. . I like it allot.. Have you add'd anymore to Transponder clip? You could fill a whole side of a album non stop with that style of music and I would never get tried of it. Km

3. dad gad

dad gad Member

When does the ant hit the market?

4. tonedog67

tonedog67 Member

thanks for the clip,i've been searching for more info and clips of this amp.I'll be gettig one as soon as they're avalable

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Wow. Thank you, knn, for the compliment! The Killer Ant is supposed to drop in April, dadgad. Street retail is supposed to be in the $139 range for the head or the 10" cab.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've been waiting for these since they were first announced...

So where on the knob does the breakup start? How much clean headroom does she have? (I imagine not much.)