Blackheart 5W head vs. Fender Super Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trumpus, May 31, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've got a Blackheart 5W head that I've been running through a Carvin 2X12 cab. It sounds alright - I swapped the tubes for JJ's and have mainly been using it as a "practice/bedroom" amp.

Lately though, I've gotten interested in the Super Champ XD and was wondering - has anyone here had both? Any strong recommendations for the Super Champ over the Blackheart as a low-wattage, bedroom-ish amp?

FWIW, I play mainly clean with pedals for dirt.

Brian

2. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

Had both. But the SCXD had the BH beat hands down for tone and versitality. The SCXD is a wonderful grab and go for small jams and works quite well for larger jams if used with a 1x12 or 2x12 cab at 8ohms. It REALLY comes to life with extention cabs. The cleans on the SCXD are somewhere between a Princeton and Deluxe Reverb tonally and sound beautiful.

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hmmm..perhaps I need to look into getting rid of my BH head and picking up the SCXD!

I got the BH because I wanted something small, and had never used a head/cab combo before - I thought this would be an easy and inexpensive way to get my feet wet. Now having had it a few months, I'm kinda wishing I had a small, grab 'n go-type amp. Maybe the SCXD fits the bill a bit better.

I had a Blues Junior previously which I sold to help fund the purchase of a SF Vibrolux - which is clearly NOT grab nor go!

Anyone want to buy a BH head!?

Brian

4. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

You'd probably get tons of takers if you listed it on ebay. From what I understand, the blackhearts are on back order just about anywhere you can get one.

5. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I've got a SCXD with a 30 watt USA Fender Ceramic and a TungSol 12AX7 in place of the stock crap tube. Made a HUGE difference and now the amp can compete with amps costing alot more IMO.

I wanna try the Blackheart since it's all tube and would be a good platform for mods.

The SCXD is hard to be though with a couple of improvements.