Blackheart Halfstack or Fender Vibro Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Soul, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Mr. Soul

Mr. Soul Member

Hello all. New player here, still VERY much a beginner and looking for advice. I never expect to be more than a hobbyist, and for the most part, will probably be playing in my bedroom only. I was so excited to order my first tube amp, so about a month ago, I ordered a Blackheart halfstack. It is still on backorder at the vendor (supposedly for another week or so).

I thought the 3 watt option would be great to give me that breakup at bedroom levels, but have been reading reviews lately that indicate even set on 3 watt, the breakup will not happen until the guitar is actually louder than most would consider "bedroom" play levels. This being the case, I'm wondering if the Fender Vibro Champ XD might be a wiser purchase for me. I understand it's a tube hybrid (whatever that means), so perhaps the tones from each amp will sound similar.

Do any of you have experience using one or both of these amps? Any input is appreciated, as I am unable to find either of these amps at shops in my area.

I'm still trying to learn to play, and I don't expect to sound like Duane Allman or Bluesbreakers era Clapton in the near (or even distant) future. The tone heard in You Don't Love Me is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. That tone is the ultimate goal. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat, if that helps.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Superchamp XD not the vibro champ XD. THe Fender is grab & go and has a lot of cool tones/effects. & it sound dang good too.

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I have played the Fender and think it sounds good enough, plus you dont "need" pedals for different tones..I am sure the BH sounds good at lower volumes like advertised, but for different tones (delays,chorus) and stuff you will need outboard gear too.

4. Ryan

Ryan Member

The 5 watt Blackheart amps are pretty dang loud.

5. eru

eru Member

I have a 5W amp not too dissimilar from the blackheart and use an attenuator that cost 3 times as much as the amp to play it in my bedroom.

Other than the ZVex Nano, there isn't a tube amp I'm aware of that you can play at bedroom levels with natural overdrive without an attenuator.

6. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

personally I think the Super Champ XD sounds better between it and the Blackheart...more spongy, warm, wet tubey sounds.
    This IS coming from a blues/jazz fanatic who plays P&W stuff,
    so if hard rock/metal is your thing then ignore me, cuz the Blackheart
    will probly be more whatcha lookin for.
    The 'Champ XD series has never ceased to amaze me...

RGP

7. 340swinger

340swinger Member

I think Blackheart has a 1 watt model coming out soon.You might want to wait for one of these.I have the 5 watter and it can get pretty loud.Great amps for the $ .Sounds good at low volumes,but really comes alive as you turn it up.

8. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

EPI valve JR?

9. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

Epi Valve jr is also a 5 watter, and like the Blackheart will annoy housemates if you reach the point of breaking up on the amp.

10. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

I very much agree with you on all you say here...

And it definitely sounds good at very low volumes too...
    So no problems, if you choose either the Super Champ XD or the Vibro Champ XD you'll be very satisfied with the tone AND the flexibility. (All of this for vintage type sounds... like stated above !)

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Blackheart Killer Ant, coming out later this spring. 1 watt of tube power and a 10" Eminence!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODn9T4RozU

[​IMG]

12. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The fender champ 600. Sounds killer with pedals of all kinds too.:D